*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Very strong alcohol taste to beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
shoestealer17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Very strong alcohol taste to beer

I tasted a Scottish/belgian style ale the other day 1 mth after brewing. It is suppose to be about 8% abv, so I thought it would take longer to age, but, I tasted it anyway and it tasted very strongly of alcohol, almost spirit like, and not much else. I am thinking the beer will take another month or so to age, but is this something that is common with young, highly alcoholic, beer? It is my first batch so I don't know what flavors a young beer might have that can mellow out with time. Is this heavy heavy alcohol flavor a note that mellos over time or does that indicate something wrong with the beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1248 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 567

What temperature did you ferment at?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yes, the strong alcohol taste should mellow out with sufficient aging. Some times this flavor can be produced by fermenting too warm, especially early in the fermentation. To avoid it, or minimize it in the future, try fermenting towards the lower end of the fermentation range for the yeast you are using. Keep in mind that the temperature in the fermentor can be 5-10*F higher than the ambient temperature too.

Drinking 'merc

Old 01-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

That's why beers need to age....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
shoestealer17
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I fermented at ~68 deg for 5 days in the primary, then I moved to a secondary for 11 days. They were both in a dark, relatively large, interior closet in my house where the temp should have stayed relatively stable. I am now aging in a keg in the same closet, it has been in the keg about 2 weeks when I tested it

Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
shoestealer17
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
That's why beers need to age....
That's what I was thinking but I have no experience on what flavors mellow out over time

Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1248 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestealer17 View Post
I fermented at ~68 deg for 5 days in the primary, then I moved to a secondary for 11 days. They were both in a dark, interior closet in my house where the temp should have stayed relatively stable. I am now aging in a keg in the same closet, it has been in the keg about 2 weeks when I tested it
Okay, just wanted to make sure it wasn't sitting next to your furnace or something. What the others have said is correct. For a big ale like that, count on a lot longer than 1 month. A lot of strong scottish ales get aged for a year or more.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
shoestealer17
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, I hope it doesn't take that long. More aging is what I thought though, but I was worried that my beer just sucked

Old 01-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
rocketman768

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestealer17 View Post
I fermented at ~68 deg for 5 days in the primary, then I moved to a secondary for 11 days. They were both in a dark, relatively large, interior closet in my house where the temp should have stayed relatively stable. I am now aging in a keg in the same closet, it has been in the keg about 2 weeks when I tested it
Only 5 days? Most people leave the beer on the yeast for about 3 weeks to let the yeast clean up the higher "fusel" alcohols you're probably tasting (and esters and other off-flavors). In fact, a long primary is usually better than a short primary, then secondary in my opinion.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #10
shoestealer17
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post
Only 5 days? Most people leave the beer on the yeast for about 3 weeks to let the yeast clean up the higher "fusel" alcohols you're probably tasting (and esters and other off-flavors). In fact, a long primary is usually better than a short primary, then secondary in my opinion.
From what I've read that's a highly debated topic, some say that leaving it over 3 weeks produces off flavors. Does the secondary not clean up some of those things

Quick Reply