Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Vegemite in beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Richard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like Vegemite and Marmite, but I would never consider putting it in my beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #12
jfhamrick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
Thank your friend then use it as a practical joke on someone. It is not suitable for consumption despite the fact that Australians eat it.
Apparently they think PB&J's are gross but they'll eat that shyt.

+1 on the practical joke use of vegemite. Lived there for two years and learned two valuable lessons very quickly: 1 - DO NOT eat vegemite and 2 - do not get into a beer drinking contest with an Aussie, they drink it like water there.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #13
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhamrick View Post
+1 on the practical joke use of vegemite. Lived there for two years and learned two valuable lessons very quickly: 1 - DO NOT eat vegemite and 2 - do not get into a beer drinking contest with an Aussie, they drink it like water there.
according to a friend of mine that has been a few times, Australian Beer is like water.
I'll find out for myself in November...

Old 02-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #14
malt_shovel
Recipes 

Just like the US, we have loads of beer coloured water that tastes pretty awful. The homebrew / craftbrew movement is no where near as far along the road as the US, but it is picking up.

If you go to a pub and order a pint / middie / schooner whatever of any of the large commercial beers, you will be sorely disappointed. There are some micro's that put out some very good beers, you just have to look for them.

I like the idea of vegemite in a a porter or stout. That might actually give it a nice twang.

If you are planning to head west to Perth I can give you a few suggestions on where to go for a decent brew.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:28 AM   #15
qajq73
Recipes 

Hi guys I am an Aussy and funnerley enough found this forum after googleing vegemite in homebrew.
Got a laugh out of what was being said and yes it is an aquired taste but my god one aquired you will never look back .
The question is can you use Veg as yeast and who ever said you cant well your correct its dead yeast .
However you can use it as a nuitrant , put it this way the old bloke who owns the home store used to work fro Tooheys he told me to throw in a tea spoon the yeast are canables and fatten up on the vegemite than are ready to feast on the batch . I have done it several times and cant really say that it has had an affect that can be noticed.

Quick Reply