Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Vegemite in beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Travel_mon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Vegemite in beer?

Greetings.

A co-worker just got back from Down Under and brought me a little packet of Vegemite spread. I've wiki'd the stuff and see it's made from Brewer's yeast, so then I began thinking about how I could use it in a beer. I'll ferment just about anything.

So... Anyone have an experience or suggestions on how best to use this stuff in a batch? Could I use it in a starter? or?

Cheers
Travel_mon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I'm not really sure if I'd use it in beer. Vegemite is made from autolyzed yeast. That is, yeast that have gone through their life cycle, sat around then "lysed" or broken open. The compounds in yeast, primarily the glutamates is what gives it the savory/meaty taste. In recent years, the flavor has been described as "umami". Obviously, Vegemite is dead yeast, so it won't ferment anything. At low levels, autolysis flavors offer some complexity in big beers. It is also a contributing flavor to traditional Champagne. Autolysis is generally a flavor we try to avoid in beer.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2257 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

You could make vegemite from your brewing yeast, but vegemite itself is not going to ferment anything. It's dead.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 02-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Have you actually tasted it? After you do, you more than likely wouldn't want that taste in your beer. It's an, how should we say it, "acquired" taste.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thank your friend then use it as a practical joke on someone. It is not suitable for consumption despite the fact that Australians eat it.
Apparently they think PB&J's are gross but they'll eat that shyt.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
gtpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I spent about 6 months in Australia and its no joke, they love this stuff. I got to a point where for experience sake I would put a very thin spread on a piece of toast and eat it in small bites. Its like black spreadable salt.

Customs took my jar on the way back

Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
Styles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It certainly is an acquired taste. You really don't want it in your beer, it'll just be nasty. If you are really keen you'll want to put it in a stout. My recommendation is to get a couple of bits of toast, butter them (very important!) then thinly spread the vegemite on. I think this is where a lot of people go wrong because it needs to be really, really thin, and you can only get that if the toast has butter/margarine on it.
You may like to add some cheese and grill it, yum!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bet you could use it to some extent as a yeast nutrient

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got the British variety, Marmite, at the English shelf at my supermarket. After experimenting with various ways of "enjoying" it, I found that a very thin layer on Ritz crackers is not bad. You've got to really like salt, though. I can't imagine putting this stuff in my beer.
I got some barley water too, and it is great. Not what I expected.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
Finnagann
Recipes 

Lol, its pretty strong taste. Perhaps you could start by making a "tea" with a tiny bit of it and adding to a few bottles at bottling time? Then you won't waste a whole batch, or your jar of vegimite, if it doesn't work out. Also there is only minimal fermentation happening at that point so autolysis shouldn't be an issue?

Quick Reply