New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Vanilla in a milk chocolate oatmeal stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
TheDrunkChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Vanilla in a milk chocolate oatmeal stout

I have both beans and REAL extract that I get from the restaurant I work at, and I am considering the idea of adding a touch of vanilla flavor to my Milk Chocolate Oatmeal Stout which I will be brewing in an hour or so. I am using 8 oz of cocoa powder for the chocolate and would like that to be the prominent flavor. but considering vanilla is a factor in making chocolate I think they would compliment each other well in my beer. How would you add the vanilla, boil it for 5 or 10 minutes? add it to the primary or secondary? and which would you use, the beans or extract? and how much would be required to get just a subtle vanilla flavor and aroma? I also will be using 8 oz of lactose to give it a true Milk Chocolate flavor.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

-Benjamin Franklin

Primary 1: Milk Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Primary 2: San Diego Red Tide Ale
Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Bottled: English IPA
Upcoming Brews: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, West Coast IPA, Very Berry Belgian Wheat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not sure on the beans- haven't done it, so I don't want to venture an uninformed guess.

Add the extract to secondary, a little at a time, until it tastes like you want it to. How much you need will depend on your extract, but start fairly conservatively, as you can't remove it if you add too much.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Vanilla is a nice compliment to a chocolate stout, but a little does go a long way. I've only ever used beans because I've tasted beer with extract in it, and I like the flavor of the vanilla beans more. You would add them at secondary time (I leave everything in primary and just add them). Cut, scrape, add, and then after a few days taste. When it gets to where you want it, rack to bottling bucket or keg.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I added a single bean to the secondary of my double chocolate stout. It was just enough to even out the bitterness and make it less harsh, but not enough that you actually taste any vanilla. Came out perfect if you ask me.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 08-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
TheDrunkChef
Recipes 

just so i know, what would boiling them for a short period of time do? I know from cooking that heat tends to really bring out the flavor and aroma of vanilla beans, but my thinking is that sitting in fermentation might cancel that out.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

-Benjamin Franklin

Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Upcoming Brews: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, West Coast IPA, Very Berry Belgian Wheat

Old 08-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts

I scraped a bean and put it in the boil at about 5 min when I made my chocolate stout. Vanilla really brings out the chocolate flavor, so you won't so much taste the vanilla as just have a richer chocolate sweetness. I loved that beer and it won mutiple awards.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrunkChef View Post
just so i know, what would boiling them for a short period of time do? I know from cooking that heat tends to really bring out the flavor and aroma of vanilla beans, but my thinking is that sitting in fermentation might cancel that out.
Why would you boil it? If you're worried about sanitation, add it to vodka and then dump it in.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
Why would you boil it? If you're worried about sanitation, add it to vodka and then dump it in.
Because heat extracts the flavors...why wouldn't you boil it?

Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
Because heat extracts the flavors...why wouldn't you boil it?
Touche.

You get a lot of flavor out of the secondary method, and I think it allows for more control than if you add it at boil. If you add too much, you're stuck with it. If you rack onto it, you can taste until it has absorbed enough flavor to your liking.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
TheDrunkChef
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
Sanitation is the least of my concerns when it comes to adding to secondary, Tonedef131 has a good point, why not boil it. My concern was that it might just be a waste of the bean, however if others have had good experiences with adding them to the boil with the cocoa than I think it would really help in "melding" the flavors together.

-Benjamin Franklin

Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:

Quick Reply