Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Vancouver, BC HBTers! Water treatment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
brewzombie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx View Post
... For all other nutrients, I just add yeast energizer.
How much yeast energizer and when? I add a miniscule amount of yeast energizer to my starter culture (I think 1/8 tsp). Is that sufficient?

I just got a pH meter and will be monitoring my next brew session. Where in Vancouver do we buy pH buffer solutions (pH 4 and 7) for calibrating the electrode?

FYI: I'm planning on adding 7 g CaSO4 and 3 g CaCl2 for an APA (pre-boil volume around 7.2 gal).

"glaaahhrb!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
Nugent
Session ale enthusiast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I think that they have them at Bosa in Burnaby.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewzombie View Post
How much yeast energizer and when? I add a miniscule amount of yeast energizer to my starter culture (I think 1/8 tsp). Is that sufficient?

I just got a pH meter and will be monitoring my next brew session. Where in Vancouver do we buy pH buffer solutions (pH 4 and 7) for calibrating the electrode?

FYI: I'm planning on adding 7 g CaSO4 and 3 g CaCl2 for an APA (pre-boil volume around 7.2 gal).
Yeah that is probably enough yeast energizer. Some people don't think its necessary for an all grain batch anyways. Apparently the recommended ion levels you see quoted in books is from lab tests with sugar dissolved in water, not beer. I asked dan once about calibrating solutions and he said you can get them at any of the pot stores My meter came with the 4 and 7 and I got bored of testing before I ran out of solution. Post your results, I'd love to see them. ...and here is AJ's guide to using a pH meter http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/ph-...ration-302256/ ...really helpful as the instructions i got with the meter were useless

Old 01-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #14
brewzombie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Nugent and gbx. I'll pick some up and report back with my numbers next batch. Cheers!

"glaaahhrb!"

Quick Reply