*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The Value Of Re-Learning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 04:31 AM   #1
Kevin Dean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default The Value Of Re-Learning

Okay, so...

As a "beginning" brewer, I learned I didn't like "The C Hops"... Cascade, Centennial...

My brewing schedules have, for the most part, been focused around avoiding these hop varieties because I KNEW I didn't like them.

Well, today I'm drinking my umpteenth liter of horribly inefficient Haus Pale Ale ("I couldn't have done it without her ale") and for the first time I notice very distinct grapefruit notes that are a bit jarring, but CERTAINLY interesting and pleasant.

Beers CERTAINLY improve with age. The flavours that we taste in the beginning change into something else totally. Having fallen to the urge to drink my first homebrews quickly, I've now come to appreciate Cascade hops and patience for aging my beers!

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

One of the hardest leasons for brewers to learn...Patience.

My strategy is to alternate low gravity, session beers which are ready quickly with higher gravity beers that will improve with age. That way I always have beer on hand to drink and am not tempted to raid beers before there time. Hop bitterness, flavour and aroma change markedly over time, and harsh or in-your-face flavours from whatever source will generally mellow out.

GT

Old 11-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My imperial stout had a slight banana flavour after 2 months or so. Fortunately this discouraged me from drinking it, because now, at 9 months, it is fantastic. No hint of banana.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Quick Reply