Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Utah is considering legalizing homebrew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
feedthebear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I hope they'll legalize it. But I'm not holding my breath.

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #12
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

buy a membership to drink in a pub?!!!! damn, i just complain about the blue law in indiana! (you cant buy on sunday)

What's tappening? :D

Old 02-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Do you mind sharing your letter? I started to write one the other day but am unsure how to word a letter.

"Hey, I'm a homebrewer that just relocated to Utah, your vote for the bill can make me a law abiding citizen of the State", just doesn't sound like it will make a good impression.

Thanks.

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #14
mrkristofo

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Mine was pretty much a copy/paste effort from the AHA website.

To my rep:

Rep. [Rep's name]l

I am writing to you regarding HB 425, which amends Utah state code to legalize Homebrewing in the state of UT. Homebrewing beer and wine is a fun, interesting and rewarding hobby that is steeped in traditions that began in ancient cultures. Legalization began in the United States in 1978, and it is estimated over 1 million Americans have tried homebrewing since then. What other hobbies can claim such a rich history? There is more beer and brewing activity now than ever before. More and more people are being educated about the varied styles of beer and methods of brewing.

Homebrewing should be legal and recognized everywhere in the United States. We have the right to brew just as we have a responsibility to uphold the tradition of the art, craft and science of brewing. Homebrewing as a hobby builds respect for beer as an alcohol-containing beverage, for brewing traditions and for the craft-brewing industry as a whole. The federal government has even acknowledged, for the first time, that consuming some alcohol can be healthful, according to the New York Times News Service. Homebrewers are responsible members of society across a broad spectrum, including managers, computer programmers, doctors, scientists, teachers, lawyers and parents. We are responsible about our consumption of beer because we are educated about its effects on our bodies and the role beer plays in our own lives and in society.

As your constituent, I strongly request your support for HB 425.

Kind regards,

[Your Name]

To my Senator:

Senator [Name],

I am writing to you regarding HB 425, which amends Utah state code to legalize Homebrewing in the state of UT. Currently it is in in the House awaiting its third reading. I have already written Rep. Wiley urging his support, and should this bill be passed to the Senate, I would like to request the same from you.

Homebrewing beer and wine is a fun, interesting and rewarding hobby that is steeped in traditions that began in ancient cultures. Legalization began in the United States in 1978, and it is estimated over 1 million Americans have tried homebrewing since then. What other hobbies can claim such a rich history? There is more beer and brewing activity now than ever before. More and more people are being educated about the varied styles of beer and methods of brewing.

Homebrewing should be legal and recognized everywhere in the United States. We have the right to brew just as we have a responsibility to uphold the tradition of the art, craft and science of brewing. Homebrewing as a hobby builds respect for beer as an alcohol-containing beverage, for brewing traditions and for the craft-brewing industry as a whole. The federal government has even acknowledged, for the first time, that consuming some alcohol can be healthful, according to the New York Times News Service. Homebrewers are responsible members of society across a broad spectrum, including managers, computer programmers, doctors, scientists, teachers, lawyers and parents. We are responsible about our consumption of beer because we are educated about its effects on our bodies and the role beer plays in our own lives and in society.

As your constituent, I strongly request your support for HB 425.

Kind regards,

[Your Name]

Conditioning: Dead Guy Ale clone, Double-Dubbel
Drinking: Not for a while

Old 02-24-2008, 02:24 AM   #15
Rockybottom

Recipes 

If it does not pass just move a little north, everybody else seems to be

Good luck but don't hold your breath the "influence" is deep there. (here also. I feel your pain)

Primary :
Secondary 1: Irish ale
Secondary 2 : Brown ale
Secondary 3 :
Kegged: , Ed's Apfelwein, Blueberry, Mild Ale
Up next : Dry Irish Stout, Dunk

Old 02-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #16
sflcowboy78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
I think a lot of laws are written so that they are not really enforced but in place to make you a criminal when you aren't really doing anything wrong .
Just curious and i might sound stupid for asking this, but how can State Law supersede Federal Law. The way i see it is the state although may have their local laws, they still have to abide by federal laws. If the Federal law says it is legal to brew, then shouldn't it override state law. Example local city has laws, city is part of state city has to follow state laws, state is part of country, state has to follow country laws. If this is not true then all we really all is a group of countries joined together for strength, each state really being it's own country.

"The easiest way to spot a wanker in a pub is to look around and find who's drinking a Corona with a slice of lime in the neck."
-Warwick Franks

Bottled - I drank it all...
Primary #1 - Apfelwein 5 gal
Primary #2 - Pomegranat Apfelwein 5 gal
Primary #3 -
Planning - Irish Red, Stout???, more Apfelwein

I am a little behind but 10 gallons to date

Old 02-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #17
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflcowboy78
Just curious and i might sound stupid for asking this, but how can State Law supersede Federal Law. The way i see it is the state although may have their local laws, they still have to abide by federal laws. If the Federal law says it is legal to brew, then shouldn't it override state law. Example local city has laws, city is part of state city has to follow state laws, state is part of country, state has to follow country laws. If this is not true then all we really all is a group of countries joined together for strength, each state really being it's own country.
The Federal Law doesn't explicitly legalize homebrew. The law merely gives states the right to enact legislation legalizing the brewing of up to 100 gallons of beer a year (200 gallons for 2 adults living together). In other words, the Federal Law just gives states the broad outline of the maximum permitted extent of the law which may be enacted by the states. From there, it is up to the individual states to choose whether or not to enact such legislation.

Lots of states allow homebrewing, but set limits that are actually lower than those allowed by the Fed. That is the states' right to do so.

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 02-25-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #18
Nyxator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The laws themselves basically allow someone to make small amounts of beer without first obtaining a license, not necessarily legalize it. If a state wants to make a stricter law, they are welcome to do so.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #19
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1537 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Well, if'n I lived in Utah, I'd still brew me up some beer.

I know... I'm a rebel! >8D

Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #20
mrkristofo

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
The Federal Law doesn't explicitly legalize homebrew. The law merely gives states the right to enact legislation legalizing the brewing of up to 100 gallons of beer a year (200 gallons for 2 adults living together). In other words, the Federal Law just gives states the broad outline of the maximum permitted extent of the law which may be enacted by the states. From there, it is up to the individual states to choose whether or not to enact such legislation.

Lots of states allow homebrewing, but set limits that are actually lower than those allowed by the Fed. That is the states' right to do so.
Also, in repealing prohibition, the states were granted their own powers to regulate alcohol. It's in the second section of the 21st amendment.
Conditioning: Dead Guy Ale clone, Double-Dubbel
Drinking: Not for a while

Quick Reply