The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Using Turkey Fryer@ Apartment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Obi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Using Turkey Fryer@ Apartment

I was looking around to see if anyone has had experience with this issue:

I brew at my apartment on my back deck using a turkey fryer burner/stockpot combo. My apartment allows LP grills, but has a ban on turkey fryers. Understandable.

I'm clearly not frying a turkey, which can be dangerous with all of the oil just waiting to catch fire/explode/leak down to neighbors decks. My concern is that they will see the turkey fryer and write me nasty letters or evict me.

I haven't really approached the management about the issue, but I'm wondering if anyone has run into this "grey area" where you are using a banned item like a turkey fryer for doing everything except frying turkeys?

I felt that I was in the clear since I am basically just boiling water with a LP burner...I would think the grill is almost more dangerous.

Any advice or life experiences with a similar situation? I just want to brew my delicious beer and not get in trouble.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

I come at this from the perspective of the landlord rather than a tenant, but I would without hesitation talk to the property management about this before going ahead. Maybe their objection is the pot of oil, but maybe it's the burner itself. If I caught someone using a turkey frier like this against an explicit condition of the lease, I would evict him and keep his security deposit without a moment's hesitation.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Tamarlane
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If they say no get a cheap gas grill with a side burner and swap the side burner out with your turkey frier

metanoia Likes This 
Old 11-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Obi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

OK, that's good to know. I was actually hoping to get a landlord/management point of view and I guess I will hold off until I can clear it with the management here.

My assumption in the matter was that it's the danger and fire hazard created by frying a turkey that was the problem.

The main argument I had with myself is: Is it still a turkey fryer if it isn't frying turkeys? Not trying to be a smart ass with word play...just honestly considering if the usage defines the object.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi View Post
OK, that's good to know. I was actually hoping to get a landlord/management point of view and I guess I will hold off until I can clear it with the management here.

My assumption in the matter was that it's the danger and fire hazard created by frying a turkey that was the problem.

The main argument I had with myself is: Is it still a turkey fryer if it isn't frying turkeys? Not trying to be a smart ass with word play...just honestly considering if the usage defines the object.
I get your question, and it's completely legit. There's no way to know without asking though. It might not even be the landlord's rule but rather a condition of his fire insurance contract. If the property management gets lax enforcing those kinds of thing, it can lead to enormous legal liabilities.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
Obi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I appreciate the information MalFet; guess it all comes down to me just asking them.

Thanks for the help, I didn't expect my question to get answered so quickly

Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It's not a turkey fryer if your not frying a turkey. It's just a banjo burner boiling water.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
metanoia
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi View Post

Good point, and if they raised any concern (after you get their permission, of course), you can ask them why they think it's for frying turkeys. Many of the one's marketed as turkey fryers also include baskets for boiling things like seafood. Definitely smart to see what their issue with them is: the burning-hot oil or the high-powered burner.
On Deck:

Thinking about racking to a secondary? Read this first.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #9
VegasJ
Internet Toughguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 31

approach management and ask them IF someone had a turkey fryer... but was using it to boil & not heat/cook oil, would they object.

Tell them you thought you saw someone using one on their balcony but they had chili or something in it & were not frying.

You might get your answer on whether it is the oil or just the flame they object to.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #10
Obi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasJ View Post
approach management and ask them IF someone had a turkey fryer... but was using it to boil & not heat/cook oil, would they object.

Tell them you thought you saw someone using one on their balcony but they had chili or something in it & were not frying.

You might get your answer on whether it is the oil or just the flame they object to.
haha, "If someone hypothetically had a turkey fryer and was using it for stock...would that be ok? Of course not me...someone...hypothetically...*cough*"

Crossing my fingers that it's just the oil! Going to ask tomorrow and hopefully be ok for the weekend.

Quick Reply