Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Using low AA hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Hernando
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default Using low AA hops

I was doing a bit of reading and Randy Mosher suggested using lower AA hops in higher quantities rather than using high AA hops like CTZ, specifically for pale ales.

As I am heading to the LHBS this afternoon, I wanted to reach out to the community and see if anyone does this approach and what benefits you get (if any) out of using the low AA hops in higher quatities. I am still messing with my pale ale recipe an found a good malt foundation for it but I am still messing with the hop additions and just wanted some feedback on this.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Admittedly I have always used high AA hops and times to get my IBU up to where I want it, but lately I have been toying with lower AA hops and even longer boil in times to get the IBU where I want it. This adds a complexity to the hop character that would be missed otherwise and allows for a greater variety of combinations, I feel it also allows a high IBU beer to be a lot smoother rather than just clubbing you over the tastebuds.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

One possible benefit would probably be an increased oil content. Or at least, I'm assuming 2 ounces of cascade has at least a bit more oil than 1 ounce of centennial.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I read the same thing... and have yet to try it but I think it makes sense for Flavor and Aroma hops..

Old 08-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Yeah I never thought about using the high alpha hops, but this really made me think about it. I could see the smoother more complexities coming through with a lower AA type hop.

I can definitely see the higher oil content being a good benefit.

Yes, but I am talking about using low AA hops for bittering hops as well. I have exclusively used high alpha hops in almost all my beers so this just came across as interesting and something worth trying.

Nightshade, What type of hops have you tried? It seems to me that Cascade is a favorite but I was thinking of trying 3 oz. of Williamette for an American IPA. I have never used Williamette so I am not sure first hand of the characteristics of it other than reading about it online.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 08-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Willamette is very similar to Fuggles, so you'll have something closer to an English IPA, except fruitier.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 618 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 239

there are downsides to using lower AA hops in higher quantities. there will be a bit more wort retained in the additional vegetable matter. in the BYO magazine from a month ago ("Oh, Say Can You “C”?:  Brewing Hoppy American-Style Ales"), they had a reason why you shouldn't make an all-cascade IPA - something about all that vegetable matter adding undesirable flavors. i have the mag at home, i'll try to remember to look it up when i return on sunday.

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought 7# of low-AA hops (mostly noble) so I've just started brewing high IBU beers with low AA hops. Overall my 'noble' IPAs have an incredible amount of flavor with smooth bitterness vs my American IPAs which have in-your-face bitterness and little hop flavor.

While I prefer my noble IPAs, that might just be because I like the noble varieties over the American so it's a little hard to say "This way is better".

I suggest trying it out yourself.

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 08-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
Nightshade, What type of hops have you tried? It seems to me that Cascade is a favorite but I was thinking of trying 3 oz. of Williamette for an American IPA. I have never used Williamette so I am not sure first hand of the characteristics of it other than reading about it online.
I am actuallly about to start building a new IPA recipe using a combination of grains and low level hops as a first attempt doing this.

This subject came up the other day while chatting with another brewer, ironically neither of us had read this article and after seeing it mentioned I will read it a bit later today.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I found Horizon hops in a catalog - 8.8% AA. They were said to have a noble hop character. I tried it in a Bavarian Hefeweizen. It was good, but seemed to loose something compared to the same recipe with tettnang hops.

Quick Reply