Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Using Jack Daniel's barrel chips, my experience.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Using Jack Daniel's barrel chips, my experience.

So, I have been on this burbon/whiskey/oaked beer kick lately (I suspect this has nothing to do with my Jameson supply running low...) and I decided I would use the JD chips. I can NOT say enough good things about using these chips! Hate the whiskey, love the chips! As I sit here typing this I am like Pavlov's dog, wishing my IIPA was now carbed. Just a few more days and it will be!

I brewed up the DFH 90 min clone recipe with extra hops, malt and a different yeast, it is EXCELLENT. I really wanted to do something different with this so I dry hopped this to extreme. Well, It was pretty extreme for me lol... all in all, I used over 1 lbs of hops per 6 gallon batch in the boil and 8 oz per 6 gallon batch for dry hopping. I dry hopped it for 1 week (this helped it mello and blend/finish) then racked to the bucket for oaking and new dry hops.

I used 1 lbs of the JD chips, 1 oz of each of the hops and a small paint strainer bag. I toasted the chips for 20 minutes @ 250 F on a cookie sheet. I then put the chips + 4oz of hops in the sanitized bag and tied it shut, it was a tight squeeze, and racked the beer on over. I checked it 2 days later. I was a bit sad, very little flavor added. Another 2 days and it was just about perfect. I kegged/bottled it @ 5.5 days. These chips flavor complement the beer VERY well.

I will be using this formula again for future IIPAs, IPAs and maybe even a light ale or blonde that I feel may need to get "oaked". It added a brilliant oaky, whiskey (NOT BOURBON), light vanilla flavor and I seriously can not wait...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I heard you are supposed to "over-oak" it just a bit, because the oak fades. Is that your experience?

Old 12-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Zamial
Recipes 

I took mine to a 1/2 day past perfect. This seemed to be the point where if some of the flavor does fade It would be ok and if it doesn't then I am still not "over oaked".

I will also put out there I would check the beer every day after 2 days. Everyone's palate is different so the time frame that was "perfect" for me may be to strong or not enough for you.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
gregger
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmmm. You sold me. I'm trying it for spring. You soak your own chips? I've seen it pre-packaged but aren't those for smoking/grilling with? Is there much of a difference?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You even played with toasting them...Awesome!!! Welcome to the cheap side.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregger View Post
Hmmm. You sold me. I'm trying it for spring. You soak your own chips? I've seen it pre-packaged but aren't those for smoking/grilling with? Is there much of a difference?
The oak trees grown for smoking/grilling are fed a steady diet of worm nutrients, and baby cows fo rthe first 3 years of their lives, while the oak barrels intended for brewing.......

Oak barrels is oak barrels is oak barrels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You even played with toasting them...Awesome!!! Welcome to the cheap side.
I love the oak in a lighter colored beer too, not just in a stout or porter.

BRAVO!!!

Old 12-16-2010, 03:22 AM   #7
Zamial
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregger View Post
For the record YES I used the grilling chips...I did not soak them in anything.

I really have been digging the oak and bourbon/whiskey flavored beers. There is a MASSIVE difference between the two as far as flavors I have noticed since most of the beers I have tried have been bourbon.

IMO the bourbon added a warmer, sherry wine like flavor. Where the whiskey added a more crisp flavor.

Also, I am NOT taking credit for use of these chips. I know many people here have or at least talked about it. Just never in a "how to kinda way". I have been very impressed with this brew so far and was very reserved about trying this but it paid off in the best of ways.

BTW, I love single malt whiskey. JD is not this but IMO it gives a fantastic flavor and it keeps my single malt where it belongs...in my bottle, glass or tummy not in a wood bath...

Old 12-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

No, excellent thread and sharing of good info.

I take back anything unkind I said about you Oh Beer Ninja. You have earned the sacred scroll.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:48 AM   #9
jeburgdo
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
I used 1 lbs of the JD chips, 1 oz of each of the hops and a small paint strainer bag.
You used 1 pound?! Surely this is a typo...

I'm wondering how much you did use, because I currently have some as well soaking in Jameson for a stout being brewed tomorrow. Somewhere from 1-2oz range was appropriate I thought though...

Old 01-15-2011, 03:59 AM   #10
Zamial
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeburgdo View Post
You used 1 pound?! Surely this is a typo...

I'm wondering how much you did use, because I currently have some as well soaking in Jameson for a stout being brewed tomorrow. Somewhere from 1-2oz range was appropriate I thought though...
Nope. I used 1 Pound or 1# for 6 gallons. They come in 3 pound bags and they are really just over 2# a bag, so I used under 1/2 the bag. The bag was under $10 so I had under $5 total in the oak and whiskey since I did not need to add any booze.

I tried doing the oz thing with oak cubes from LHBS and never got decent results. I had soaked them in Jameson and I put the cubes and whiskey into the beer for over a week and no one could/can taste it in that batch, including me. I am sure folks do use a small amount and can taste it but I wanted results fast since this was a tasty IIPA and I was all done oaking in 5 1/2 days.

On a side note, I will be using the same chips I used here on a new project. I had made a smokey barley wine and have PLENTY of it aging and I even have some on tap but it is not my most favorite, I am sure a couple of 12oz. bottles a year will be more than enough for me, so I have 8+ years worth stored away.

What I am doing is freeze concentrating about 1/2 the batch. It started @ 12% ABV. I am still in the process of concentrating the batch but it is looking like I will have just under 1 gallon by the time I freeze concentrate the batch twice. The second time it is looking more like a slushy than a block of ice so I will use cheese cloth to help trap the ice but we will see in the am...

I will scale down the same quantity and age the concentrated BW on the chips until it is perfect. I will then add in some Jameson to flavor it to my liking, then bottle it into 12oz bottles uncarbed. So I am essentially turning this into a "sipping whiskey flavored shot". The prototype was REALLY good. I mean YUMMY! did I mention I like whiskey?

I am calling this drink "eichenfass shwartz eisen gerstenwein Irischer whisky" because that is a pretty accurate description of what it is and I plan on taking a bottle out on the ice with me fishing, it should not freeze...It is being called "Black Ice" for short.

If I am right this may be a great way to harvest "bad batches" and turn them into some kind of shot. I can toast chips/cubes, get different woods and liquors to create a unique beverage. Beer went sour? Make an apple chip bourbon shot. Taste like Satan's anus? Make a dark toasted rum. I can not think of a better reason to freeze concentrate than "My batch went bad/I did not like it/it is not to standards.".

I will report back after the finished product is ready in a week or 2.

Quick Reply