Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Using hulled barley along with 2 row

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
MarcusKillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default Using hulled barley along with 2 row

I have a 10pd sack of hulled barley I bought for eating . got tired of cooking it as it takes a long time . So I was thinking of just adding a pound in with a batch of what ever to use it up .
the thing is i am not sure what that would do . I assume that 2 row has been lightly roasted ?
The hulled barley of course does not have the hull on it so it would be just the meat and not roasted .
any thoughts on this ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Sounds like it's raw and whole. It will need to be milled and cooked via a cereal mash and then can be added to the main mash.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
Sounds like it's raw and whole. It will need to be milled and cooked via a cereal mash and then can be added to the main mash.
That is what I thought . Just was not sure if 2 row was actually cooked or raw .
It has been milled . The hull is gone so what ever is in the hull if anything that is good in a mash would not be there which is why I was only going to use a pound or so in a mash.
Well I might as well use it in a mash since I have far more than I would ever eat. It is quite tasty with milk and sugar or used in soups and stews or eaten like a side of rice .

Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 138

2 row is malted, not raw. Malting is different from just cooking, it changes the flavor and gives the grain diastatic power so the starches can be converted to sugar during your mash. The problem is you need to do a cereal mash to gelatinize any uncooked starches and make them available for the enzymes in the 2 row to break down. You can buy flaked unmalted grains, but the flaking process involves passing the grain through hot rollers, so they get gelatinized that way. So your raw barley will have to be milled and cereal mashed, then added to your main mash.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Thanks for the answers

Quick Reply