The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Using fresh wood chips/cubes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
SouthBay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I just read a thing about drying oak for use in barrels used to age bourbon, sherry and scotch. Apparently, drying the wood first is really important, pre toasting. From what I read, an oven at low temps for a few hours before toasting at higher temps looks sufficient

we blessed your skin
we blessed you with our mark
become a part of the klok
become a gear

winnph Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Just get yourself some oak cubes. 1oz per 5 gallons. There is American Oak, Hungarian Oak, and French Oak. The toasts are Medium, Medium plus, and Heavy.

There is a lot more to proper oak curing than just drying and toasting, it is a process that takes many months. You can make yourself a tea with boiling water and an ounce of cubes so that you can taste each type and get an idea of what it can contribute.

If you do try to make your own, I would still make a tea out of them to get an idea of what they taste like and whether you like it or not.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #13
winnph
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
Just get yourself some oak cubes. 1oz per 5 gallons. There is American Oak, Hungarian Oak, and French Oak. The toasts are Medium, Medium plus, and Heavy.

There is a lot more to proper oak curing than just drying and toasting, it is a process that takes many months. You can make yourself a tea with boiling water and an ounce of cubes so that you can taste each type and get an idea of what it can contribute.

If you do try to make your own, I would still make a tea out of them to get an idea of what they taste like and whether you like it or not.
I appreciate the point that I'm not going to be able to replicate a "proper" oak cube, but that's not really what I'm going for here. I genuinely enjoy the idea of incorporating into my beers various ingredients I've harvested from the wild around me. For example, I'm probably going to try to make a pawpaw brew next year (I harvested enough this year but they were so tasty I just ended up eating them all).

I understand that this is a hobby where I could focus on beer style specs and use only the finest ingredients, but that's not the route I've taken. I'm in it for the tinkering and experimentation. This beer will probably be the closest thing to a "normal" beer I've brewed in more than a year, and as you can see it's not exactly normal: Late Winter Warmer.

That said, I will be boiling the wood chips after I toast/bake them, and I will definitely sample that water for both aroma and flavor to decide whether to add each one, and if so how much.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
Rockape66
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

With Pawpaws just make sure that you discard all of the seeds. The native americans used pulverized pawpaw seeds to cure migrains in very small doses. Just a little bit more, and I mean little, leads to a very painful death. This is what I've read, not experienced, but then I haven't tried poison hemlock either. Have you?

Old 12-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
winnph
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape66 View Post
With Pawpaws just make sure that you discard all of the seeds. The native americans used pulverized pawpaw seeds to cure migrains in very small doses. Just a little bit more, and I mean little, leads to a very painful death. This is what I've read, not experienced, but then I haven't tried poison hemlock either. Have you?
Interesting, I didn't realize that. Luckily the seeds are enormous (like large lima beans or something), so I can't imagine many will slip through my brewing process. I googled it and found this interesting first-person story of someone who decided to eat a pawpaw seed to see how toxic they are: Pawpaw seeds - just how poisonous are they? - General Chowhounding Topics - Chowhound

Basically he felt like crap and then his digestive system took it upon itself to cleanse itself.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #16
ohrinet
Recipes 

Default Amazon Grilling Chips

Just looking into doing something like this as well and noticed that there are some bourbon barrel chips on Amazon, and I'm noticing that Amazon has a bunch of other wood chips available too. Would something like these grilling chips be considered acceptable to use in a brew?

Amazon.com: bourbon barrel chips

drinking a chocolate porter

Old 12-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

There are some folks on here that do. Search oak chips or the like.

Quick Reply