Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > using cultures - From homebrews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 03:26 AM   #1
Vertigo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default using cultures - From homebrews

I really want to use the sediment that my batch's form, but I don't know how to use, or store them safely. At the moment I'm winging it and attempting to grow these bi-products myself. I have no idea what to do. I know this is most likely a bad idea, but I wouldn't use them if I throught that they sucked. I would think that these bi-products would help following batches. I was thinking that these bi-products could improve body, taste, head, carb's. Just mabe, but again I don't really know..it just sounds like a good idea.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 03:38 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's a ton of info on here...search for the yeast washing thread, the yeast freezing thread, and the yeast harvesting threads...I thought they are stickied, I'm pretty sure the yeast washing illustrated is...

Plus there's the wiki with info as well.

Yeast ranching is fun.

Edit The yeast washing illustrated tutorial IS a sticky at the top of the General Techniques section of the forum.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 12-21-2008 at 03:41 AM.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Yeast ranching is fun.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

Form the un-intoxicated.

I prefer to just put my wort on the cake if possible. Like tonight I siphoned my Argentine Amber on a Nottingham cake form a APA that I had just before racked to secondary. My new brew was bubbling like mad in merely minutes.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Last edited by Malticulous; 12-21-2008 at 04:25 AM.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Vertigo
Recipes 

thanks guys,
this time. I'm just preparing for my next batch. My "main" questions are. How do I prepare the cultures (from my brew) for use? Next, How do I use these cultures for brewing my next batch?, How should I store these cultures for later use (Long term wise)?c

Last edited by Vertigo; 12-21-2008 at 06:47 AM.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
undallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just listen to revvy.... search and make a starter... the starter is how you start your culture.. After that you can either wash or use it as your yeast.

Happy Brewing

Quick Reply