New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Using Caffeine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #21
BousDeuce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thought I would share from my experience. I bought 100 grams of synthetics caffeine from PureBulk.com while in school, it is very very very bitter, even when using the equivalent of 100mgs caffeine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #22
keesh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I made a small 1 gallon batch of stout to which I added 800 mg of USP grade caffeine powder, which ended up being 80 mg/12 oz bottle after all was said and done . There is no detectable taste and the buzz is nice but not overwhelming. If I do end up giving any of them to anyone, it will be only one at a time. Not that I think someone who has a caffeine tolerance (like me) and a healthy heart couldn't handle it, but I'd rather play on the safe side.

From my understanding the danger lies in the nature of the effects experienced when alcohol and caffeine are co-administered. The individual doesn't feel drunk or tired as quickly, so they end up drinking more. There is also the danger of them drinking well past the point where their body would just give up and pass out, which is definitely bad. This is only an issue with people who are binge drinking, and taking in a lot of caffeine. 80 mg of caffeine is equivalent to a Red Bull, and similarly is not intrinsically dangerous.

Primary - 1 Gal JAOM, Belgian IPA, Pumpkin ale
Secondary - 5-way split Breakfast Imperial Stout, 2 Gal Traditional mead
Bottled - Kolsch, Pliny the Younger clone, Centennial Blonde, Alpine's Nelson clone, Apfelwein, QuicknDirty Cider
On deck - EdWort's Haus Pale

Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #23
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 16

So I'm reading along in this thread, have no personal interest in 'boosting' up some drank, then I read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmacro View Post
Caffeine in it's purest form is actually a white powder, not liquid; and it's perfectly safe if you watch the measurements, which is something I've said at least twice already:
Now I can't get the image of someone snorting caffeine out of my mind.
Now I'm off to google 'snorting caffeine' then come back and finish reading the thread.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 10-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #24
keesh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
So I'm reading along in this thread, have no personal interest in 'boosting' up some drank, then I read this.

Now I can't get the image of someone snorting caffeine out of my mind.
Now I'm off to google 'snorting caffeine' then come back and finish reading the thread.
I would be really careful with this if you really want to snort pure caffeine powder (using NODOZ pills are different because the dosage is controlled, but still not too safe) because the amounts are very tiny. You need a scale that is precise down to 10 mg. Also I would recommend doing a 'plateau' hit to find out how your body reacts to it (a small, measured dose) because most likely snorting it will make the effects either stronger, quicker, or both, so you need to be careful.

Primary - 1 Gal JAOM, Belgian IPA, Pumpkin ale
Secondary - 5-way split Breakfast Imperial Stout, 2 Gal Traditional mead
Bottled - Kolsch, Pliny the Younger clone, Centennial Blonde, Alpine's Nelson clone, Apfelwein, QuicknDirty Cider
On deck - EdWort's Haus Pale

Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #25
xmacro
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I just found this funny, effect on a caffeine crazed spider, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #26
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
I just found this funny, effect on a caffeine crazed spider, courtesy of Wikipedia:

This video too!

Classic.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #27
bioguy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
a cup of coffee or a cup of green tea (actually more caffeine than coffee), both of which have less caffeine than a red bull or some other sugary energy drink
Coffee usually has about 200mg of caffeine. Green tea comes in at about 40mg. Source Mayo clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/AN01211) .

I agree with you that if you get the amounts right, you're good.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #28
Br3nt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thank you for the input.

I'm going to split the batch. I'm interested in the 5150 because it's a good concentration, easy to manage and very little bitter after taste from my understanding. They also have a sweetened version but I plan on staying clear of that. I plan to keep the dosage to around the same as a cup of joe.

I've been leery to say what I am making because a few local breweries have stolen my ideas and made money.

I will say this Ale is going to be for a group of gamers mainly DND and I want it to be a +1 or even +2 Ale. If any of you roll dice I'm sure you have a smile on your face. Don't laugh at us 40 somethings getting together drinking magical brew, smoking kick ass cigars and freeing the world of evil. You just don't know what you're missing.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #29
xmacro
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br3nt View Post
Don't laugh at us 40 somethings getting together drinking magical brew, smoking kick ass cigars and freeing the world of evil. You just don't know what you're missing.
This is so weak I don't even know what to say.

Chaotic evil is where it's at.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #30
ArrogantDusty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Let us know how it turns out. This is something that I would try myself in different smaller batches of beer. I am a caffeine addict for sure and will fall asleep halfway though a night that I am drinking if I dont have a soda or redbull in the middle.

Quick Reply