Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Used knox gelatin to clear beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Used knox gelatin to clear beer

I had a beer that was more then cloudy. I've never had a beer so opaque. So I looked up ways to clear and found out knox gelatin works well. I threw some in my keg and poured a beer less then 48 hours later. The first one looked the same and tasted the same. The second one looked like a commercial brew. I recommend everyone to use it. The only way it changed my beer was the clarity, it still taste amazing. Here's the before and after.

image-2435786256.jpg

image-914942557.jpg

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
WileE65
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Looks Good! And, simple enough to do.
I've been adding Knox to my kegs for a while now. I see that it clears pretty well without changing anything else, just like you said.
I think it has become a regular step of my process. -Might as well have it ready when going to the keg...

Old 10-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 16

How much do you typically add to a 5gal keg?

Old 10-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
beersk
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcogar View Post
...I recommend everyone to use it...

Unless of course you're a vegetarian or vegan. You know what that stuff is made of right?

I don't use it primarily because it smells bad, but also don't like what it's made of. I don't it's tasteless, but just can't bring myself to put it in my beer. I'd rather go the more natural route.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

+1 to gel. It's awesome. Also very nice in stocks/sauces, FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by beersk View Post
Unless of course you're a vegetarian or vegan. You know what that stuff is made of right?

I don't use it primarily because it smells bad, but also don't like what it's made of. I don't it's tasteless, but just can't bring myself to put it in my beer. I'd rather go the more natural route.
?? What's more natural than gelatin?

Old 10-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Sarge
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Did you add the gelatin after carbing? I would like to add some gelatin to a blonde I recently kegged but wasn't sure if it work work if the brew was carb'd. It's clearing up fine on its own but I just wanted to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcogar View Post
I had a beer that was more then cloudy. I've never had a beer so opaque. So I looked up ways to clear and found out knox gelatin works well. I threw some in my keg and poured a beer less then 48 hours later. The first one looked the same and tasted the same. The second one looked like a commercial brew. I recommend everyone to use it. The only way it changed my beer was the clarity, it still taste amazing. Here's the before and after.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
krahm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can add it after carbonating. I start carbing when I first put the keg into the fridge. After two days, I add gelatin. After three more, I dry hop. You might get some foaming if it's fully carbed, but just be ready to get the lid on quickly, and you'll be fine. I stir the gelatin in a bit, but other people insist it's not necessary, so you can probably just toss in the gelatin and put the lid on, then purge the oxygen. Let it sit in the fridge for a few days to a week, and you're all set. It really does make a huge difference in the beer.

And there isn't any nasty smell that I can detect. I'm not sure why a previous poster said that, unless s/he was talking about gelatin itself. And to be honest, I've never noticed that either. Now as for animal carcasses, they can give off a bit of an odor.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge
Did you add the gelatin after carbing? I would like to add some gelatin to a blonde I recently kegged but wasn't sure if it work work if the brew was carb'd. It's clearing up fine on its own but I just wanted to try it.
I sure did. I actually drank half the keg before I picked up this little tip. So I had about 2 1/2 gallons in the keg (fully carbed) . I just released the pressure, dropped in a half pack of knox gelatin (as explained how), closed it up and set it back to 8psi. 2 days later my beer looked great.

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
?? What's more natural than gelatin?
collagen derived from the acidification of cow and pig skin vs. time

Old 10-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #10
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
collagen derived from the acidification of cow and pig skin vs. time
Ahh. I took that as suggesting there was a more natural product, as if gelatin itself were somehow unnatural. Incidentally, waiting for time to clear is exactly why I use gel in hoppy beers- so I don't have to wait and can drink them fresh.

Also question on vegetarian comment - I realize gel is an animal product, but would a vegan really not use it in their beer? I mean, it's 1 tsp and it drops out...not like accidentally eating a steak or something

Quick Reply