Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > UPS or FedEx?
View Poll Results: UPS or FedEx?
UPS 22 52.38%
FedEx 14 33.33%
LHBS/rarely have anything delivered 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #21
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I don't have a strong preference. In my experience, the local outfit makes more difference than the overall company. I've lived in places where FedEx did a great job and UPS always punched holes in boxes for no clear reason, and I've lived in places where UPS was reliable but FedEx would somehow attempt delivery without my noticing despite my sitting by the front window at time time.

Where I am now, both seem ok.

Regarding the late deliveries, I think in many places they attempt to schedule residential deliveries to be late, since most people are more likely to be home after 5. We usually get deliveries between 6 and 7. It's annoying if you need it as early as possible, but I think it suits most people better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #22
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
UPS doesn't deliver any regular parcels at all on Saturday.

MC
I didn't say they did. What I was saying is everyone is raving over the fact that USPS delivers on Saturday. The fact is that UPS is taking more and more of the Post office deliveries because they have defaulted on government loans and are trying to cut costs. It is a matter of time that UPS will start delivering regular parcels on Saturdays after they take over the post office business.
Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #23
xdalisx
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I picked UPS because I have a really good driver on the route that my work is on.

overall I have had mixed experiences with all couriers.

On Deck Pale Test Recipe
Fermenting Nothing :(
Kegged Parvulus Amber Ale
Kegged Magnirostris IPA

Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #24
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by tally350z View Post
I didn't say they did. What I was saying is everyone is raving over the fact that USPS delivers on Saturday. The fact is that UPS is taking more and more of the Post office deliveries because they have defaulted on government loans and are trying to cut costs. It is a matter of time that UPS will start delivering regular parcels on Saturdays after they take over the post office business.
Until then I still prefer the USPS.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #25
EvilDeadAsh
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

UPS (IMO) is much more flexible on missed shipments - which is almost always the case for me, as they usually come while I'm at work. If you miss the shipment, they leave the slip and I can go pick it up myself that night. If you miss a shipment from FedEx, they won't let you do that and in my area (Philly) the closest place to pickup a FedEx shipment is a good 45m drive.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #26
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well it looks like UPS is winning so far, which surprises me. UPS has angered me several times. FedEx has always delivered to me exactly as expected. The frustration comes from ordering an item online and having the vendor wait several days before sending it my direction. Once they do, though, FedEx is on it.

Also, they have the "Hold at FedEx Location" option (not sure if UPS does). Usually that'll get it there early in the morning. It also helps since I can't trust my neighbors not to steal packages.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #27
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by libeerty View Post

FedEx, though... DAMN! Supposed to have a keg delivered on Friday, the driver said he tried to deliver it but he absolutely did not (I sit and do work by my window, and notice these things.) So they apologized and said Saturday... but they never showed! And now they are saying I will get it Wednesday, and during a window in which I won't be home because I'll be teaching a class. Bastards!

So, my vote is for UPS.
Up until just recently FedEx was like that at my place too. The driver used to walk up with the "delivery attempted" note already written and would usually just slap it on the door and leave, though he would sometimes knock very lightly wait 10 seconds and then slap the note on the door and leave. Now I don't see that drive around anymore and the very few fedex deliveries I get have always been fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post

Amazon has started using a regional carrier called OnTrac for my Prime deliveries and so far they've been far superior to UPS, but I'm pretty sure they're bending over backwards delivering Amazon packages so they can keep the contract.
I've noticed the same thing with Amazon prime packages also, a small panel van from OnTrac. The delivery guy is always extremely friendly and is here before 10:30am. I often get my 2 day prime items NBD as well assuming I order it early in the day.

Quick Reply