Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Upgrade to electric or purchase a meat smoker?

View Poll Results: Smoker or electric system upgrade
Smoker 11 78.57%
Electric Updgrade 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #31
techbrewie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

I love to brew. BUT you can already make great beer. a meat smoker will change your life, it changed mine. Then make a Rauchbier to go with your meat :-)

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #32
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
You need to check out the Minion Method. I use it on my WSM and it works wonders. Only thing you gotta do is stir the charcoal and add wood chunks occasionally (and water once). I did a brisket for ~11 hrs and never added charcoal. Stayed at 225 the entire time.
Yes I have used that method. It did work well. But it's so much easier smoking something in my garage now, with the door cracked open a bit.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #33
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Do you personally notice a taste difference between the electric and charcoal/wood?

I am an avid cook and know my way around meat and at first starting my research I thought electric was a no brainer due to ease and concistency in maintaining temps. There certainly does seems to be a lot of info stating that its harder(or impossible) to achieve the same taste with electric.

I'm starting to think its the same argument as aluminum vs stainless BK's.
No real difference but plenty of old school hold outs that maintain stainless is better. Disclaimer..I have a stainless BK.
I really don't noticed a difference in taste, since the electric still uses wood chips. The taste I don't like is from propane, personally.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #34
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
Yes I have used that method. It did work well. But it's so much easier smoking something in my garage now, with the door cracked open a bit.
I can't argue with that. When I get settled down a bit more, I plan to get a pellet model (ie. Traeger, etc).

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Quick Reply