Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Upgrade to electric or purchase a meat smoker?
View Poll Results: Smoker or electric system upgrade
Smoker 11 78.57%
Electric Updgrade 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #21
bscott1011
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 37

My vote is smoker first. Im using a Char-Griller with side box, fairly cheap and effective. I can grill over direct heat, set up indirect heat in the main box, or go low and slow with the side box. I wish it held heat a little better but I still use it all year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #22
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
I dunno why I'm asking here anyways....SWMBO will make the call. It should be interesting she loves beer AND pork.

Im leaning towards the smoker with the intention of being electric and indoors by next winter.

My friend is dead set on me getting a Big Green Egg but any product that is most expensive in its class is rarely the best. At least that is what I have learned in other purchases.

I'll likely not go with a UDS as my main concerns for my smoker purchase are temperature regulation/control and cooking maintenence intervals. Can anyone speak to the above reccomended smokers in reference to those points?
As far as smokers go, it depends on what you want to do. Big Green Eggs are awesome all purpose cookers. If you're not planning on smoking 700 things at once, this guy built a version of Alton Brown's flower pot smoker for around 100 bucks

LINK

You can buy a chargriller smoker with firebox for around 180. You never knwo what can happen.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #23
Rideandbrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

WSM holds temp great,I love mine.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #24
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I used charcoal/wood smoker for 12 years and always liked the food. Must say though, got tired of keeping that heat consistent for 10 hours sometimes. I recently bought and electric smoker and LOVE it. Set it and forget it, just come back from time to time to add wood chips.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #25
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I have the all stainless Masterbuilt one that Sam's or Costco was carrying a few years back. It's basically a propane fired water smoker...not super high end but it works great and holds the temps well. It kind of looks like a gym locker. The firebox is big enough to use chunks but also works well with chips. Last year a bought a cold smoke generator so I also smoke grain for smoked beers in there and occasionally cheese.

BTW, my first smoker was a Brinkman which worked ok if the weather was perfect. If there was any wind and/or it was cold outside, it couldn't hold a constant temperature. So I'd pass on the Brinkman for sure.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #26
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscott1011
My vote is smoker first. Im using a Char-Griller with side box, fairly cheap and effective. I can grill over direct heat, set up indirect heat in the main box, or go low and slow with the side box. I wish it held heat a little better but I still use it all year.
Have you sealed the lid? I used fiberglass fireplace rope.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #27
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 414 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
I used charcoal/wood smoker for 12 years and always liked the food. Must say though, got tired of keeping that heat consistent for 10 hours sometimes. I recently bought and electric smoker and LOVE it. Set it and forget it, just come back from time to time to add wood chips.

Do you personally notice a taste difference between the electric and charcoal/wood?

I am an avid cook and know my way around meat and at first starting my research I thought electric was a no brainer due to ease and concistency in maintaining temps. There certainly does seems to be a lot of info stating that its harder(or impossible) to achieve the same taste with electric.

I'm starting to think its the same argument as aluminum vs stainless BK's.
No real difference but plenty of old school hold outs that maintain stainless is better. Disclaimer..I have a stainless BK.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #28
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo
You need to check out the Minion Method. I use it on my WSM and it works wonders. Only thing you gotta do is stir the charcoal and add wood chunks occasionally (and water once). I did a brisket for ~11 hrs and never added charcoal. Stayed at 225 the entire time.

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #29
bscott1011
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have not tried the fireplace rope yet but will check into it. No problems holding my temps during warm months but have trouble in the winter. The metal is pretty thin. I'm hoping to get an insulated cabinet style smoker next year for cool weather months.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #30
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1434 Times on 1312 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I have a GOSM propane smoker. They can be had for under $200. I went with a propane smoker because it requires very little attention, and it works well.

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie

Quick Reply