Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Upgrade to electric or purchase a meat smoker?

View Poll Results: Smoker or electric system upgrade
Smoker 11 78.57%
Electric Updgrade 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I'd upgrade to electic then put the money you save away for a smoker.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I dunno why I'm asking here anyways....SWMBO will make the call. It should be interesting she loves beer AND pork.

Im leaning towards the smoker with the intention of being electric and indoors by next winter.

My friend is dead set on me getting a Big Green Egg but any product that is most expensive in its class is rarely the best. At least that is what I have learned in other purchases.

I'll likely not go with a UDS as my main concerns for my smoker purchase are temperature regulation/control and cooking maintenence intervals. Can anyone speak to the above reccomended smokers in reference to those points?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This thread may give you some inspiration.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f172/post-pics-your-smoker-211932/

Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
mudboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

here's the thing... If you are going electric to make your life easier... this comes down to how much, and how ofter are you going to use the smoker.

I've had a Traeger grill for about 10 years now. they are a little spendy, but it was worth the money as I use it often. People will tell you to build a smoker, but if you are going to look at ways to automate and improve that to make your life easier, why not skip that step and go with a great solution from the get go.

I like pellet smokers best, and my Traeger has done a fine job, but if I had to buy again, I would get a MAK, Green Mountain, or better yet a Memphis Grills smoker/cooker...

The most important part for me about a smoker is that it has to be easy enough to use that my wife can at least grill/smoke something on it without having to adjust from indoor cooking practices.

These options aren't cheap, but the easier it is to use/clean, the more often you will use it...

Also, Frogmats are your friend.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
I have been using a UDS for about 4 years now and have had great results, in fact I built a second one to have on hand for big BBQ sessions like 4th of July and wrenching parties when building cages and axles.
The guys I know that have UDS love them. I'm a little curious and may build one some day

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
This. Love my WSM. There's even a community dedicated to it! www.virtualweberbullet.com

How you supposed to make good beer if you're not well fed with top notch smoked pork?
I like to have good beer when I'm smoking. It's a very balanced relationship, I'd say.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #16
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
I dunno why I'm asking here anyways....SWMBO will make the call. It should be interesting she loves beer AND pork.

Im leaning towards the smoker with the intention of being electric and indoors by next winter.

My friend is dead set on me getting a Big Green Egg but any product that is most expensive in its class is rarely the best. At least that is what I have learned in other purchases.

I'll likely not go with a UDS as my main concerns for my smoker purchase are temperature regulation/control and cooking maintenence intervals. Can anyone speak to the above reccomended smokers in reference to those points?
i've never used a BGE, mainly because of the cost to get one. The only reason I'd agree with your buddy is if you want to "grill" at higher temps. Pizzas, steaks, etc.

My Weber Smokey Mountain is easy to use. Start fire, get to temp, put meat on, and eat it later.

IMO, it is pretty easy to operate. Keeps/holds temp well. Especially if you use the briquettes, you can set the vents/intakes, and not have to mess with them very often. I know a LOT of guys that buy the cheaper Brinkman types, hate them, and never use them.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post

I have a BGE and love the thing. Also, you can spend much more on a smoker than what an Egg costs. Get something that holds heat well.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
i've never used a BGE, mainly because of the cost to get one. The only reason I'd agree with your buddy is if you want to "grill" at higher temps. Pizzas, steaks, etc.

My Weber Smokey Mountain is easy to use. Start fire, get to temp, put meat on, and eat it later.

IMO, it is pretty easy to operate. Keeps/holds temp well. Especially if you use the briquettes, you can set the vents/intakes, and not have to mess with them very often. I know a LOT of guys that buy the cheaper Brinkman types, hate them, and never use them.
Yep, smoke, grill, bake. It does an awesome job on pizzas!

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

This. I'm a sold WSM fan as well. Mine holds 225 perfectly, and I've done a 10.5 hr smoke before with no change of charcoal (using the Minion Method). The 18.5" model (the smaller one) can hold an entire slab of spare ribs from Costco (the ones that come in like 9lb 3-rack pks for $25) just barely all the way across. It's pretty good about wood as well. Just use chunks instead of chips and they'll last quite a while (just needs occasional stirring).

Honestly, if you cook on a pretty big scale, I'd go with the 22.5" model. If not, don't waste your money (and charcoal) on the large one. The WSM is expensive but worth it in my opinion. And it's of course charcoal so if that's not your thing, look elsewhere.

As far as Brinkmann and cheaper ones -- dont bother. I bought my father a charcoal Brinkmann smoker and we've had to modify the hell out of it (drilled more holes, replaced the charcoal basket with one that has air holes so it can actually breathe, added racks, etc). It also wastes a lot of wood, as wood chunks are too big for it so it needs chips.

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
I have a BGE and love the thing. Also, you can spend much more on a smoker than what an Egg costs. Get something that holds heat well.

Rick

Oh, I know you can spend WAY more than the BGE, but in that class of smoker it seems to be tops.

Quick Reply