Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Unwanted "Belgian" flavors - help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
BellAub
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

I use Idaphore for my sanitization practic, I alway use secondary fermintation becasue I thought the taste was coming from the beer sitting on the yeast cake on the bottom, but a lot of my research states that may not be true. I get my water from a water filteration store. I have been wanting to stop by and ask them if they have a list of what type minerals their water contains after they filter it in hopes it would help me nail down the problem. I also use one of those oxygneators that put on a drill and spin the wort in the carboy. My last three batches I only used Wyeast. I was going to try white labs on my next batch to see if their is a difference, but I don't think there will be.

Hopefully we can get this nailed down.

Primary:Belgian Triple
Secondary:None yet
Bottled: Ridgecrest Crud (My first beer) Triple SB, Farm House Saison, Home bored Brew
Kegged: None yet
On Tap:Triple SB, Farm House Saison, Home bored Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
SickTransitMundus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Racking is a likely contributor to this problem. In nearly all cases you do not need to use a secondary at all. In addition to the above suggestions, leave the beer on the yeast cake for a while and it should reduce these off-flavors.

This topic has been flogged to within an inch of its life on HBT, but here's a good introductory thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

Gallons in 2011: 145 and counting.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
Chuginator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 114

That's pretty interesting; and news to me. Guess I was old-school, always thought racking to secondary after a week was pretty much something you just always did. I'm relieve to hear it isn't necessary! Less trouble.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
RatCity
Recipes 

Just wanted to chime in...as a quasi-newb brewer. Had the same problem but making sure I cold crashed the beer before bottling or kegging fixed it. The yeast, without dropping from suspension, gave everything an overwhelmingly band-aidy taste.

Cold crash in a fridge overnight would be my recommendation!

Old 02-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
Chuginator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Just wanted to chime in...as a quasi-newb brewer. Had the same problem but making sure I cold crashed the beer before bottling or kegging fixed it. The yeast, without dropping from suspension, gave everything an overwhelmingly band-aidy taste.

Cold crash in a fridge overnight would be my recommendation!
Hey there, Spence - I appreciate your input. That is interesting too - since I had to rely on an ice bath this last time to cool the wort to pitching temp, it probably didn't have quite the break it needed?

Although an added complication to the matter is that I was using a rather efficient immersion chiller in my all-grain setup, and still had the off-flavors. Unless maybe that wasn't as efficient as I thought it was...

This is one of the things I really like about the 1-gallon setups. The volume is so low that you can do side-by-side comparisons of different techniques (or ingredients) without investing a lot of time and money. To prove your break theory, it would be interesting to do one batch with a very good break and one without a not so good of a break and pinpoint what happens.

I'm planning on brewing another batch this Sunday, with the intent of lowering the fermentation temperature- and that is the only thing I'm going to change - to see if it has a significant impact. If it doesn't, I will try your cold break idea! Something's got to give!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #16
Chuginator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just an update - I bottled a batch yesterday, and this one was the same as the first (One Step) but at a few degrees lower fermentation temperature, and Cooper's dry yeast instead of Munton's ale yeast.

Same problem. Same icky Belgian-like off flavor. And sour/tart (tasted before bottling). Will bottle condition for 3 weeks, then refrigerate, but I know the defect will still be there - because it still is in the batch prior to that. Frustrating.

I brewed up a couple of Irish Reds the weekend before last and used Star San throughout. I really, really, hope that's the problem that has been plaguing me. I'm tired of this, but I won't stop until I get it tackled.

I'm wondering if my Apfelwein will turn out with the same off-flavors. I used Star San for that carboy, so I'm hoping not... if it does, I'm going to have to try wearing gloves and a mask, or do an off-site brew to see what in the hell is going on.

Something has to give!!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #17
RatCity
Recipes 

How frustrating! I still vote for cold crashing the beer before bottling / kegging. Drop those yeasties right out of suspension...they should form a tightly packed cake at the bottom. Siphon off all delicious beer and leave that last 1" for the yeast.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #18
Chuginator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thank you, Spence. The Irish Reds were brewed as two one-gallon batches (still doing the small stuff until I can figure this out), so I will try that with one of the batches just to be able to see - and hopefully taste - what the difference is. I'm not racking to secondary with these; the only time racking is involved is when getting it from the primary fermenter to a sanitized jug for the addition of priming (corn sugar boiled 5 mins then cooled to pitching temp) before bottling.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #19
Rockape66
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Chuginator,
Get some icecream or kosher salt to add to your ice bath for chilling your wort. This reallly speeds up the chill giving you a better break. Also, what kind of cleanser are you using. That band aid flavor sounds like some kind of chemical residue. I use one-step as a sanitizer without any problems whatsoever, so I don't think that is your problem. But many of the more experienced brewers here swear by starsan. I plan on trying it myself for sanitizing smaller equipment, but I still have 5# of one step. I'll use the one step for larger equiipment and bottles.
Good luck with figuring this out. I know we're all rooting for you.

Slainte, Mack

Old 03-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #20
studmonk3y
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think I have read on here before about people saying one-step is not a proper sanitizer. Most people here prefer star san or idophor.

Quick Reply