Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Unintended eisbock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Unintended eisbock

Thought this was pretty funny. I recently tried changing the temperature and PSI settings on my kegerator setup to get colder beers while maintaining the right amount of carbonation. I noticed that, about a week or two after I switched the settings, my American amber (which was the furthest back in the kegerator) started tasting a lot maltier all of a sudden. At that time I didn't think anything about it other than a, "Hmm, something's weird here."

Last night, I kick the keg and switch it out for a maibock I've had lagering for a few weeks. When I open up the top to wash out the keg, I see an ice block about a half inch thick sitting about 2/3 of the way down the keg. Mystery solved.

Suffice to say that I turned the temp back up and adjusted the PSI setting back to where they were...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
JonK331
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sounds tasty.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
sbrasfield
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Did you transfer the unfrozen portion of the keg? I just checked my fermenter downstairs and my probe was not reading properly and the temp dropped below freezing. I now have two frozen kegs. One is a maibock, so it would be possible to make it an eisbock, but I am not sure how to proceed. Should I thaw it completely? Should I thaw it partially and transfer, resulting in an eisbock?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I did, straight from the keg to my belly, glass by glass. (Didn't realize what happened until I went to clean the tapped keg.)

Given your situation, you probably should transfer the unfrozen portion. Let us know how it goes!

Quick Reply