*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > unhealthy obsession with brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #31
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagamoreAle View Post
If I had a spare $15mil, I'd buy a boat with a brewery and a shooting range. Pretty standard really...
I want to go boating with you. I will even bring my own beer and firearms.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #32
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
if I'm not brewing, I'm thinking about brewing. or reading about brewing. or thinking about reading about brewing.

actual brewing takes up less time than the thinking, reading and thinking about reading about brewing

but I wouldn't call that obsessive
+1 again. That pretty much sums it up. As far as the woman she bought me my first few kits as presents so as far as shes concerned she actually likes the idea of me being so immersed in something that was "her idea"

Old 01-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #33
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Wife doesn't drink beer, but she does drink wine. I got her a wine kit, now we have 100 bottles of wine in the house at any given time. She will even say to me" Do you need to go to the beer store this weekend...I need more bottles,corks,ect". Works out well for equipment too. "hey honey....you better get a vinator for your wine bottles, and a carboy scrubber...don't forget some Star-San"
If only I could talk her in to kegging her wine I could build a bigger keezer...

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern
People Like This 
Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #34
nachotime
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's just fun to do. I love to tinker in the kitchen and this is the ultimate in tinkering for me... plus i get beer.

I'm 27.5 gallons so far into the new year and I'm getting nervous about kegging next week and am getting nervous about only having two fermenters going. i can't stop thinking about my next batch or the next addition to my setup. I carry my brew journal with me almost everywhere now.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #35
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachotime View Post
...I'm getting nervous about kegging next week and am getting nervous about only having two fermenters going....
Kegging is the bee's knees! Nothing to worry about. Not only does it take 1/10th the time of bottling, but it had the practical effect of freeing up my fermenters more quickly. I'd gotten to where i hated bottling so much that I really put it off, and ended up buying more fermenters rather than bottling. Now I have ~64.5 gallons of fermenter space, but almost never keep beer in them more than 10 days. Once they hit FG, I transfer into one of my 9 kegs, even for long-term storage. My 3-tap kegerator only holds 3x5gal cornies anyway (although I could probably get a "Scotty" on the hump...hmmmm...). Now I just need a keg chilling fridge to go along with my beer fridge and my temp control fridge.

Plus now I've gone pretty much exclusively to 10gal batches. I've had the capacity in theory since fall of 2011, but mostly stuck to 5gal. With 200gal in 2012, I've got my process down and my recipe formulation is pretty strong, so I feel good about making 10gal each brew. All of which means my beer production is threatening to get crazy. I've already bought 3 sacks of base malt, and have used 1.5. Next thing is a group buy, I hope.

(Wait.. didn't somebody say something about an unhealthy obsession...?)

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #36
nachotime
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
Kegging is the bee's knees! Nothing to worry about. Not only does it take 1/10th the time of bottling, but it had the practical effect of freeing up my fermenters more quickly.
See, this is why i love the homebrewing community... its just so friendly. I do keg already and somehow there was a disconnect between my brain and fingers in typing my post, but if i really was nervous, your post would've talked me off that ledge. cheers!

"Everyone's gotta believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer." - W.C. Fields

Quick Reply