Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > unfiltered beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
xbabyboy4021x
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default unfiltered beer

when a bottle of beer says its "unfiltered" does that mean that it still contains the yeast and should be poured into a glass leaving yeast sediment behind like a homebrew? im drinking an empyrean ale brand "Darkside Vanilla Porter" and it says its unfiltered and i also bought a beer called Easy Street Wheat which i just noticed it is also unfiltered but in the wheat i can see the yeast sediment at the bottom and on the bottle it says to pour 2/3 of the beer then swirl the last 1/3 to suspend the yeast sediment then pour that too, im new to brewing and trying different kinds of beer but ive never heard of pourposely pouring the yeast sediment into the beer.

oh and also, on the side of the vanilla porter it says "OG: 14.1" im assuming this is 1.141, am i right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 03:29 AM   #2
albannach
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeast sediment won't hurt you; I think it has some vitamins in it. I've never heard of purposely drinking the sediment myself, but you should try it with the sediment and without, see which tastes better to you I guess. I usually leave the sediment behind in my homebrews.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:45 AM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6327 Times on 5483 Posts
Likes Given: 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbabyboy4021x View Post

oh and also, on the side of the vanilla porter it says "OG: 14.1" im assuming this is 1.141, am i right?
probably 14.1 Brix which is about 1.054

Old 01-19-2009, 03:47 AM   #4
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

the side of the shock top bottles say to do the 2/3 pour then roll the rest and pour it in. i havent tried it but a friend did it and said it tasted better when he did that.

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 01-19-2009, 03:57 AM   #5
somecallmetim
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hefeweizen is traditionaly served with some yeast in suspension.

Weizen - Home Brewing Wiki

On Tap - Haus Ale, Baltic Porter.
Fermenting- SNPA Clone, Half Wit

Old 01-19-2009, 03:58 AM   #6
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Wheat beers rely on the yeast for a lot of their character so you should drink the yeast. On the other hand a porter should be decanted off the yeast. Usually they'll say "Bottle conditioned" or something like that to tell you to pour carefully, but unfiltered would normally also have yeast at the bottom, but not always.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #7
GloHoppa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbabyboy4021x View Post
when a bottle of beer says its "unfiltered" does that mean that it still contains the yeast and should be poured into a glass leaving yeast sediment behind like a homebrew? im drinking an empyrean ale brand "Darkside Vanilla Porter" and it says its unfiltered and i also bought a beer called Easy Street Wheat which i just noticed it is also unfiltered but in the wheat i can see the yeast sediment at the bottom and on the bottle it says to pour 2/3 of the beer then swirl the last 1/3 to suspend the yeast sediment then pour that too, im new to brewing and trying different kinds of beer but ive never heard of pourposely pouring the yeast sediment into the beer.

unfiltered means that the yeast is left in suspension for purposes of bottle conditioning or enhancing the flavor of the beer. most wheat beers are unfiltered since those yeast strains tend to be more estery and phenolic (bananna and clove-y).

14.1 is in degrees Plato, the form of gravity used in commercial brewing circles. To convert to specific gravity, multiply the number by 4. 14.1x4 is 56.4, so the OG was 1.0564 in specific gravity. Brix/Plato/Balling is also nice since it is also a percentage of sugar within the wort/beer. Originally that beer/wort had 14.1 percent of its solution made up with sugar.

Primary: (empty)
Carboy: Apfelwein, aged 11 mo
Mr. Beer: (empty)
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Old 02-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Brule
Recipes 

Just drank an Empyrean Vanilla Porter and I don't think it's bottled conditioned. Easy Street will come out pretty cloudy, very normal. Both are excellent beers!

The man who lets a leader prescribe his course is a wreck being towed to the scrap heap. - Ayn Rand

Drinking: Apfelwein, Irish Red Ale, Octane IPA
Fermenting: Apfelwein(version2)
Planned: ESB, Mead

Old 02-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
dagamore
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dont fear the yeast, most beers in Belgium, bottled atleast, are sold with yeast in them, in lambics its not the yeast that it was brewed with they filter out the brewing yeast, and then put in normal yeast for bottle conditioning(so that you cant get there custom wild/lambic yeast for free, Back on topic, the yeast in the bottle is good for you, and is full of good vits and what not.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Heck - I always drink the yeast. I like it and it's pretty darn good for you.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Quick Reply