Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Unexpected guests while brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Default Unexpected guests while brewing

Ever happen to anyone?

I try to plan my brew days so that I will be able to do my thing un-interrupted. This way I can take my time and enjoy the process. Well Sunday I got a nice little suprise when not one, not two but seven....SEVEN!! family/friends ended up at my house. And it couldn't have any worse of a brewday for it to happen as I was trying out new equipment for the first time. I was doing my first full boil out in my garage with my new propane setup and homemade wort chiller. It was a partial mash brew and lukily the mash/sparge part was done before this lovely suprise. I was in the middle of the boil.

Not that I don't mind teaching/explaining the process, but I had to basically put on a class! "what's that smell?, why do you do this?, why do you do that?, whats that foamy stuff?, you put your beer in that foamy stuff?, whats that copper coil thingy?......oghghghg!

The good news is, I was able to maintain concentration and get the job done without making any mistakes. Just felt like ranting a bit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

I didn't have it that bad. But one day,we were brewing one up,& my son walks into the kitchen after work. "Damn! What's that smell?" "We're brewing some beer" I reply. We'd just started hop additions. "that doesn't smell like any beer I've ever had. Smells like sh**". "Smells like sweet grainy hops to me". "Sh**,smells like goat p*** or something. Damn man".
Nothing like words of encouragement. Geez. Some folks just don't appreciate our craft...

Old 11-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
mountainman13
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'd have put em to work. Plenty of cleaning to do.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Two years ago for my birthday my wife specifically told my sister that I would be too busy brewing beer to have a party.

So my mom and my sister and her three kids and a friend or two all showed up while I was brewing.

I felt bad, but I had to tell them to wait for me in the house. I'll be in when I'm done.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Reading your story homercidal,this song came to mind;

Old 11-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
HopPhish
Recipes 

Happened to me this weekend during my first attempt at a partial mash. My brother and my dad stopped by. I put them to work, but unfortunately I drank a lot more then I normally would during a brew day and this led to me pitching my yeast at a little to high of a temp. It's all good though, we had a good time and my brew seems fine.

Last edited by HopPhish; 11-16-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I like when people stop by during a brewday; unless of course it's the inlaws.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I didn't have it that bad. But one day,we were brewing one up,& my son walks into the kitchen after work. "Damn! What's that smell?" "We're brewing some beer" I reply. We'd just started hop additions. "that doesn't smell like any beer I've ever had. Smells like sh**". "Smells like sweet grainy hops to me". "Sh**,smells like goat p*** or something. Damn man".
Nothing like words of encouragement. Geez. Some folks just don't appreciate our craft...
Are you sure he's yours?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How you handle distractions weeds out the real brewers!

Seriously when my buddies and I brew we purposely mess with each other for fun. If its a competition beer all the better to ratchet up the heat.... sometimes literally!
A closed / open valve here and there is good clean fun.

Not everyone's idea of fun I'm sure.

I can remember one day a friend went inside and I re-plumbed his brew kettle. It was an upgrade that time.

Wayne

Stainless Weldless kits and Flat $5.00 shipping to USA 50 States!
NEW - KENT CARBONATION CAPS AND QUICK DISCONNECTS

BargainFittings.com

Old 11-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
alaskana
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My last two brew sessions were 'brew parties' of sorts where my wife would cook up some awesome food and then I'd show whoever was interested the 'art' of brewing. Keep in mind I am still learning myself so perhaps I wasn't the best one to be teaching others but all in all we had a good time. Having said that I will admit I make far less mistakes while brewing when there are fewer people around to distract me.

What were some of the mistakes I made during my last brewing party? Forgot to pre measure hops, put wrong hops in at wrong times, forgot to cover brewpot while chilling, forgot to take OG, forgot to aerate wort, didn't make a starter for my liquid yeast, and had a boil over which ended up clogging up a quarter of the jet nozzles on my banjo burner. Not to mention I (not intentionally) let my wort get up to almost 80 degrees for about a day during primary fermentation

Oy!

Quick Reply