Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Undershot my OG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #1
Jeepaholic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Undershot my OG

Today I brewed a Clone for tank 7. Everything went well except I collected less wort than expected out of the mash tun. I was in a hurry so I just added a gallon of water to the boil kettle. I know I need to work on my efficiencies but will leave that for another thread. I ended up with the correct amount of wort for the fermenter but I had a OG of 1.055 not the 1.075 expected.

I'm thinking of adding a pound or so of light DME but I don't know how best to add it. I don't really want to add much to the volume in the fermenter since I'm already where it needs to be. If it is still fermenting heavily and really churning away can i just drop the DME in the fermenter letting the active yeast mix it up, or does it have to be boiled? I have never used extracts before.

I would appreciate any advice.

Marcus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

DME and LME need to be boiled and stirred so that it completely disolves. I understand that you don't want to add any volume to the fermenter, but the best suggestion that I can make is to mix a small amount of water with a little bit of DME and mix to disolve, then add a little more DME and mix to disolve. Do that until you have a small amount of very high gravity wort. Doing this will require at least a half gallon of water.

With that said, if I were in your shoes, I'd just leave it. A 1.055 beer is still going to be a pretty decent beer.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 08-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

It will actually dissolve better in cold water, but still needs to be boiled to be sanitized. I would also recommend against just adding it to the fermenter. Boil in water first.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
htc
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Possible contamination issues. Better safe than sorry you don't have any beer at all.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
Jeepaholic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks guys, I'm going to leave it as is.

Marcus

BTW htc, I LOVE your signature. If you don't mind me steeling this I'm going to have it framed and put in my bar.

Quick Reply