Um, What Am I Looking At?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andvari7

Reaction score
...And did I just waste eight days of my life?

The yeast I was using - a packet of Wyeast Whitbread Ale - had been in my fridge for over six months, due to cats impeding in my brewing operation. I brewed on the 23rd, and for the first four days, had fairly consistent activity in the airlock. But, yesterday, it was stopped. I told the guy at the LHBS, who told me that I had nothing to worry about, and that I should even bottle today. Well, I went to bottle, and found this:

Additionally, it has a less-than-pleasant odor. Worried, I popped the lid back on, and returned it to its previous location.

Knowing full well that this line of questioning has been beaten to death, I'm compelled to ask: what's your take? Ferment another week? Bottle now (and I mean RIGHT NOW)? Log my mistakes, and muck up my plumbing?

Looks like yeast and maybe floating hot break to me. what exactly does the less than pleasant odor smell like? And have you tasted it? If so how did it taste?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Looks like Krausen that has not fallen yet to me. Let it set another week and see if it has settled.

Pretty sure that's big chunks of top cropping yeast. It's fine, ignore it for a week or so.

...And did I just waste eight days of my life?

The yeast I was using - a packet of Wyeast Whitbread Ale - had been in my fridge for over six months, due to cats impeding in my brewing operation. I brewed on the 23rd, and for the first four days, had fairly consistent activity in the airlock. But, yesterday, it was stopped. I told the guy at the LHBS, who told me that I had nothing to worry about, and that I should even bottle today. Well, I went to bottle, and found this:

Additionally, it has a less-than-pleasant odor. Worried, I popped the lid back on, and returned it to its previous location.

Knowing full well that this line of questioning has been beaten to death, I'm compelled to ask: what's your take? Ferment another week? Bottle now (and I mean RIGHT NOW)? Log my mistakes, and muck up my plumbing?

Yeast poop.

Did you happen to use Whirlfloc? It will make chunks of hot break like that. They eventually settle.

Proteins, yeast, hops, other trub. The smell your getting is most likely all of those things, in particular the yeast, young beer and co2. Let it ride for another week or so, confirm its done with gravity readings and bottle.

In other words, I should start putting away the bottles I have sanitizing, and revisit this next week. The smell, by the way, is difficult to describe, but I get a musty, yeasty, and somewhat sweet note.

get a musty, yeasty, and somewhat sweet note.

Leave it alone. That's pretty much what it should smell like. You're good! :rockin:

In other words, I should start putting away the bottles I have sanitizing, and revisit this next week. The smell, by the way, is difficult to describe, but I get a musty, yeasty, and somewhat sweet note.

Yes I would suggest putting everything up and wait a few more days. Then take a gravity reading. Then take another a couple days later. If they are the same move forward with bottling.

And yes the smell you're describing is very normal. The smell of a fermenter isn't always what you'd think it's going to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

^^ They don't know what they're talking about...^^

Those are pancakes... Get 'em out and on a plate with syrup, eggs & bacon!

Just to keep you updated, everything turned out fine. FG was right on target (I have it written, but I'm on my phone), and I taste on Sunday. With any luck, I'll still be short of room for my mead.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Home Brew mobile app

Back