Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Tyler Texas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #111
ikonis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Liquor sales won't happen at all. Brookshires and Walmart won't put money towards it like they did for beer and wine. Trust me. Been in this business for the past decade (up until just now when I closed my store in Winona because of the b/w vote)

And there's no reason whatsoever to build a beer store in Tyler. Not when you have Walmart selling 30 packs 30¢ BELOW cost. You can compete with that. Trust me. If anyone opens up a standalone beer store, there dumber than a box of rocks. It's not a margin game. It's a volume game. When you cannot compete with big box stores, you won't stay alive

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #112
dcbc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
Got a feeling liquor sales will be a ways off.

I'm a little north of Palestine.
You may be right. We have another beer and wine election for Pct. 1 in May. I think they will get the beer and wine domino effect going for the surrounding areas outside of the city limits, then double back on liquor.

If I had my wish, the next thing they should do is an option election to free up the "on premise" licensing we have here in Tyler. Currently, to sell on premise, you have to be a restaurant (food service license holder), which entitles you to sell with a "mixed beverages" permit. That's why Fresh had to cordon off the restaurant on premise sales and have all "off premise" product sold with instructions to leave out the rear entrance. Basically a tape line on the floor.

But apart from that, here's the other rub. A mixed beverage permit does not allow for the sale for off-premise consumption except (1) if you don't finish your bottle of wine, it can be corked and taken home (ABC Section 28.10(b)) or (2) a restaurant that is part of a hotel may deliver mixed beverages, wine or beer to any part of the hotel (rooms and common areas, but not parking areas). So a place like Fresh (this is like our local version of HEB Central Market or Whole Foods), they have to have two licenses---mixed beverage and off premise licenses.

In my perfect world, a place like Fresh or other restaurant/food sales place could apply for a BG License (some people call it a beer garden license). This is a combination on premise/of premise license. What's the point? Growler fills. I am dreaming big.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #113
ikonis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbc View Post
You may be right. We have another beer and wine election for Pct. 1 in May. I think they will get the beer and wine domino effect going for the surrounding areas outside of the city limits, then double back on liquor.

If I had my wish, the next thing they should do is an option election to free up the "on premise" licensing we have here in Tyler. Currently, to sell on premise, you have to be a restaurant (food service license holder), which entitles you to sell with a "mixed beverages" permit. That's why Fresh had to cordon off the restaurant on premise sales and have all "off premise" product sold with instructions to leave out the rear entrance. Basically a tape line on the floor.

But apart from that, here's the other rub. A mixed beverage permit does not allow for the sale for off-premise consumption except (1) if you don't finish your bottle of wine, it can be corked and taken home (ABC Section 28.10(b)) or (2) a restaurant that is part of a hotel may deliver mixed beverages, wine or beer to any part of the hotel (rooms and common areas, but not parking areas). So a place like Fresh (this is like our local version of HEB Central Market or Whole Foods), they have to have two licenses---mixed beverage and off premise licenses.

In my perfect world, a place like Fresh or other restaurant/food sales place could apply for a BG License (some people call it a beer garden license). This is a combination on premise/of premise license. What's the point? Growler fills. I am dreaming big.
That is just not going to happen. And in the history of Texas, only ONE place has ever gone from "damp" to "wet" ever. So liquor is just not going to happen. Not with Tyler voters. This issue is 'done' with them.

It all sucks anyways, since it put me out of business.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #114
dcbc
Recipes 

Well, my future predicting skills have been wrong before. Just out of curiosity, which town in Texas went damp to wet?

Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #115
Txredrum
Recipes 

Default Tyler Texas Reply

Quote:
Bumping this thread from the grave. I have PM'd a couple of you earlier today. But I figured it was worth checking in. I have been living in south Tyler for the last 12 years and brewing for 10+ of those years. I get about one 10 12 gallon all grain brew day in per month and am always looking to meet more local brewers. Now that Tyler is wet, I'm hoping you all didn't retire.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug,
I'm also in in South Tyler all my life. I've been brewing about 3 years. All grain brew in a bag the last 2. I normally brew 2-3 5 gallons brews per month. I have a mash tun but haven't taken the final step with my all grain set up because the biab has been a lot more managable as a solo brewer. I actually brewed 15 gallons of orange creamsickle a few wks ago, which I'll be bottling this weekend. I wouldn't mind collaborating with another brewer on recipes, ingredients, and brew day just to mix it up. I tried to meet up with Tyler Area Pints and Suds but its been hit and miss. I would like to see your rig and maybe get some ideas for finishing my rig and maybe swap some samples.
Give me a shout
Jimmy
jimmyntracey @ sbc global. net

Old 01-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #116
dcbc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txredrum View Post
Doug,
I'm also in in South Tyler all my life. I've been brewing about 3 years. All grain brew in a bag the last 2. I normally brew 2-3 5 gallons brews per month. I have a mash tun but haven't taken the final step with my all grain set up because the biab has been a lot more managable as a solo brewer. I actually brewed 15 gallons of orange creamsickle a few wks ago, which I'll be bottling this weekend. I wouldn't mind collaborating with another brewer on recipes, ingredients, and brew day just to mix it up. I tried to meet up with Tyler Area Pints and Suds but its been hit and miss. I would like to see your rig and maybe get some ideas for finishing my rig and maybe swap some samples.
Give me a shout
Jimmy
jimmyntracey @ sbc global. net
Jimmy, email coming your way.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #117
TylerAI
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Bumping this thread from the grave. I have PM'd a couple of you earlier today. But I figured it was worth checking in. I have been living in south Tyler for the last 12 years and brewing for 10+ of those years. I get about one 10 12 gallon all grain brew day in per month and am always looking to meet more local brewers. Now that Tyler is wet, I'm hoping you all didn't retire.

Cheers,
Doug
Still active and brewing. I am just getting started good with all grain, after about 4 years of extract.

Several Tyler area brewers met at Brunos on Old Jacksonville two weeks ago and enjoyed several examples from our breweries. Everybody agreed to do it again. You should join us.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 AM   #118
dcbc
Recipes 

Very cool. I found the TAPS facebook page the other day. I'm assuming that's where they will announce the next meeting.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #119
TylerAI
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default TAPS Meeting

TAPS will be meeting on May 16 at 6:00pm, at Tyler's Brewing Supply. If you have not heard, Tyler now has a LHBS located at 13893 Hwy 155 S. Tyler's Brewing Supply officially opens this coming Monday and the owner has offered to let the club meet at his business. We will be trying to meet every third Thursday of the month.

More information on Tyler's Brewing Supply can be found at: http://www.tylersbrewing.com/

TAPS (Tyler Area Pints and Suds) is a new and growing group of brewers in the Tyler area. The best way of contact is through Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tyler...13291618704212

Old 05-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #120
ikonis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can also find me on http://www.facebook.com/tylersbrewingsupply

Triple lager brewday at the shop tomorrow gearing up for opening
Stop on by

Quick Reply