Two years in a secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since letting my brew sit for a long period obviously isn't a problem for me, I'm tossing around the idea of making some mead. I've wanted to make some for a long time, but never followed through.

The problem is that I have no idea what mead even tastes like. I stopped by the local liquor store to buy a bottle and the only thing they carried was 'meade,' which after reading the label I found out was just white wine with spices added to recreate real mead flavor.

For those of you who have tasted mead, how would you describe the flavor?

Some Mead is pretty good, but it's an "acquired" taste in the same way sour beers are an acquired taste. Not to say they taste anything alike, it's just one of those things you either like or you don't.

I'd definitely try and find some to taste so you know if you like it. It's really hard to discribe.

the flavor of mead can vary widely, from very sweet to very dry. also the flavor can be different depending on the honey used, the yeast used, etc. It's hard to describe what it tastes like when different ones tastes different. I'd suggest finding a liquor store with a better selection, and trying one or 2.

it had kind of a vinegary taste with just a hint of dirty *******.

I am now looking for an excuse to use this description. How do you think it would go if the next time SWMBO asks how something she cooked tastes.

As an update, last week I decided to make two gallons of mead. They're bubbling away right now.

20121217_221400-XL.jpg

I also bought a 60 qt kettle so I can do all-grain finally. I put together a mash tun a couple years ago before I went on my homebrewing hiatus. So, the larger kettle was all that was keeping me from doing an all-grain brew. I'm stopping by my local homebrew shop to get the ingredients I need tomorrow morning, and hopefully I'll have it in the primary that night. This time I won't forget about it for two years though!

Glad to see you hitting it again.

Barleywine. That is the perfect brew for you.
Now all we need is some sort of automated airlock that keeps topped off.

Maybe one of those animal water dishes with a float that controls the water flow so it stays full. You could use that and a blowoff tube and be set for a two year fermentation.

Well, I've got another update. Since cleaning out my office and finding the secondary with the old dunkelweisen in secondary, I've re-caught the homebrewing bug! I've got two gallons of mead bubbling away, my first AG in primary, and I'll be bottling a sweet hard cider today or tomorrow (depending upon gravity readings).

Now, the actual update though is that when going through my bottles I came across two cases of beer I brewed about 2-2.5 years ago. They were both extract kits; one was an amber bock and the other was labeled something along the lines of American light or maybe American light ale. When I tried them soon after bottling, the amber bock was terrible tasting and the light ale was okay at best.

I decided to crack a bottle of each open and give it a try. I didn't have high hopes and figured the 2+ year old brews wouldn't be too drinkable, especially since they didn't taste good when I first brewed them. Low and behold, they were excellent! I first tasted the amber bock. It was well carbonated and very smooth. The light ale was also very smooth and well carbonated. The amber bock tasted way too yeasty for my tastes back when I first brewed it, but that overly yeasty taste was completely gone. I tried them at room temperature too. I can't wait to see how they taste once they've spent some time in the fridge!

This entire thread made my day. We covered so much ground. "Yo, I got a 2 year old beer i forgot about......has this dude tasted the beer yet........geez, taste the beer already.......vinegar with a slight hint of butt.......he now brews mead and just completed his first AG batch".

I feel like we have all grown today, group hug anyone?!!!!!!

how do you forget about beer in a carboy? I can see tossing the dirty equip in the garage or even forgetting about some bottled beer but I cannot fathom forgetting about 5 gallons a brew in a carboy!

how do you forget about beer in a carboy? I can see tossing the dirty equip in the garage or even forgetting about some bottled beer but I cannot fathom forgetting about 5 gallons a brew in a carboy!

Exactly.

I don't think most people think he is lying... but that same group of people sure can't believe a word he says either.
;)

Medical school fellas. It's been sucking the life out of me. I'm filling my head with so much information that it's been pushing other stuff out!

Medical school fellas. It's been sucking the life out of me. I'm filling my head with so much information that it's been pushing other stuff out!

How does one pass medical school btw? Is it just a cram session building level upon level? I am talking more of the testing part vs the residency stuff.

To me... the greatest barrier is the barrier of entry. Getting accepted, meeting the pre-reqs and of course the cost. Other than that, its just cramming for crazy tests.

How does one study for the various tests from entry, then from craddle to grave?

I would like to lay the ground work for my kids to prepare them for med school.

How does one pass medical school btw? Is it just a cram session building level upon level? I am talking more of the testing part vs the residency stuff.

To me... the greatest barrier is the barrier of entry. Getting accepted, meeting the pre-reqs and of course the cost. Other than that, its just cramming for crazy tests.

How does one study for the various tests from entry, then from craddle to grave?

I would like to lay the ground work for my kids to prepare them for med school.

I don't know. I'll tell you once I do! Seriously though, cram sessions just don't work for medical school... Well some of the serious brainiacs can manage to get through med school cramming, but most of us need to study daily (well, most every day anyhow). Besides, cramming can work for exams, but not very well for long-term retention, which is what is needed.

Getting into med school sucks. The process is long and frustrating... But it's doable with some dedication and hard work. Once I was in and actually doing school work I realized how easy the application process was compared to actually attending school. School is also EXPENSIVE. I have three words for that: Loans, loans, loans... At least that's how most of us get through.

Don't prepare your kids for med school. Let them prepare themselves if it is something they want to do. The last thing you want to do is to try and force someone into something their heart isn't really into. However, the formula for getting into med school is pretty easy: Good grades, good MCAT score, and lots of volunteer, shadowing, and research. Easy peasy (yeah right).

This entire thread made my day. We covered so much ground. "Yo, I got a 2 year old beer i forgot about......has this dude tasted the beer yet........geez, taste the beer already.......vinegar with a slight hint of butt.......he now brews mead and just completed his first AG batch".

I feel like we have all grown today, group hug anyone?!!!!!!

I think I'll skip the hug and just say that it's very cool that things came full circle and he's not only brewing again, but stepped it up.

I can see how medical school would get in the way of the hobby, now lets see how long until life outside of school gets in the way. I can only imagine that after school there are several demanding years ahead of you before you can be settled into a "normal" schedule.

So how's that mead coming along? ;-)

It was completely undrinkable. I substituted powdered cloves for whole cloves, and it completely overpowered the mead. I gag even thinking about drinking this stuff. I actually popped open another bottle just last month to see if letting it sit longer would mellow it out... But it was just as bad. Oh well.

But I'm back on the wagon. I've been all-grain brewing for over a year now and just got into kegging as well.

Came looking for an epic story about 2 year old forgotten beer. Thank you hbt. Totally delivered.

Back