Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Trying other's HB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
NorsemenRugby58
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Trying other's HB

Recently I have been experimenting with my own home brews to make them better. I spent a lot of time/effort over the years diagnosing and correcting many flaws in my home brews. There is only one BIG frontier left for me (complete temperature control).

To my point. I have NEVER had anybody else's home brewed beer. After four years of home brewing (1 extract, 1 partial, 2 AG) I think it is time to try some. I have a LHBC (local home brew club), but I don't like 'clubs'. Competitions seem to be mail away. Do people ever do home brew trades? Would anybody care to donate 12oz of their gold for me to try?

EDIT: Also, what spawned this was a conversation in a home brew store with another guy that all-grain brewed (he seemed astonished to meet another person who AG'd). I don't like to try and hate on people, but whenever I prodded him to criticize his beer in any way, he couldn't think of anything wrong with it. Nobody makes perfect commercial quality brew at home, especially a guy who seemed to be winging it like this guy. So I guess I am a hater and that haterade sparked my interest to try others' brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yup, check out the trading forum. Sampling and Critiquing - Home Brew Forums

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I've met so many homebrewers through here over the years, and many of us get together to brew, or drink, or meet at brewpubs. A few of those are beer judges, but we try each others beers all the time. You may not be a fan of "clubs" but getting together with like minded folks is a great part of this hobby.

Not sharing your location makes it difficult to connect with local folks, so you might want to change that on your profile, and maybe starting a thread looking for fellow hbters to meet up at a local brewpub would be a way to go, then getting together to brew and share homebrews would be the next steps.

Some of my closest friends are those I met through here. If you want folks to share beer, I would encourage you to open up to those in your area.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
NorsemenRugby58
Recipes 

Part of my resistance to my local club is age. Many of them are my father's age or 15+years older than me. I am from New Hampshire.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You may not be a fan of "clubs" but getting together with like minded folks is a great part of this hobby.
Totally agree. I regret that I didn't join my local club sooner.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorsemenRugby58 View Post
Part of my resistance to my local club is age. Many of them are my father's age or 15+years older than me. I am from New Hampshire.
You should attend one meeting. Worst case scenario, you'll have tried other people's homebrew.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
So? I grew up hanging around with folks 15 years older than me, if you share a common passion for something, like beer, then you meet on the same level. Then you find out all the other cool things you might have in common.

But I never said you had to join a club if you don't want to, I suggested you try to hook up with folks from here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Join your local brew club, or at least show up to a meeting before deciding whether or not you like "clubs" or not.

And forget about the age difference. I'm the young'un of my brew club at 25 as most of the guys are in their late 30's through 50's. If you all share a passion for something, it doesn't matter what age you are.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Nobody makes perfect commercial quality brew at home,
For most of the beer at my home brew club I would agree with you, but some of them are better than most commercial brews.

You really do need to go to a home brew meeting.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3177 Times on 1984 Posts
Likes Given: 2698

Yea, don't join the club, just go to a mtg or two. Not only will you get to taste some homebrew (good and bad), but you might meet some qualified judges who will teach you to really taste a beer. I was lost until I did that. (Thanks Nelson)

Quick Reply