*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Trying to identify why I hated New Castle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Germelli1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Trying to identify why I hated New Castle

One of the main benefits I have gotten from homebrewing is being able to pick out the flavors I do/don't like in beers. I am very frustrated on why I can't figure this one out.

I had New Castle once back during spring. It was one of the few beers I absolutely hated and could not finish. I would try it again if presented the oppertunity, but I am afraid to buy a sixer of it.

Anyway when I tasted it the only way I know of to describe the flavor is "Tequilla-ish". I hoping some of you guys who are experienced New Castle drinkers could pick apart the flavors of the beer and help me identify what I tasted that turned me off about the beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
novafire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I used to drink Newcastle a lot. Then I pick up a 12 pack of it that tasted like they added a spoonful of dirt to each bottle. The whole 12 pack was off.

Since then it took a few years for me to come back around to trying it and I enjoy it more than ever now.

How many times have you had it? Maybe you had an off batch as well.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafire View Post
I used to drink Newcastle a lot. Then I pick up a 12 pack of it that tasted like they added a spoonful of dirt to each bottle. The whole 12 pack was off.

Since then it took a few years for me to come back around to trying it and I enjoy it more than ever now.

How many times have you had it? Maybe you had an off batch as well.
That is part of my problem, I have had it only once, was traumatized and have been too scarred to ever purchase it on my own. I would gladly give it another taste is someone offered me some, but until then I am not going to purchase it.

What are some other english brown ales? I would like to set up a blind taste test between a few similar beers so my traumatic experiences do not bias my response.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Bad lines, overcarbed, skunked, dirty glasses, bar tender pouring for the wrong bottle, there's so many things that can ruin an otherwise good import. I don't believe in giving up on a beer until I've tried it from a few sources.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Nugent
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I don't like Newcastle either. There's some malty flavour that just doesn't appeal to me. Could be the yeast that they use.

I'd like to try a fresh pint in the UK, though. Who knows what happens in the hold of a freighter and sitting in a container in some port.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Maybe you bought an old 6/12 pack or got it thru some dirty lines. Regardless, if you want to figure out why you don't like it you will have to have it again.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #7
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The thing I don't like about it is the same thing I don't like about similar beers, there's just this.. like.. buttery sweet caramel flavor that just seems cloying to me. It's not even that I dislike sweet caramel flavors; I just hate it in this style. I taste the same sort of thing in Green King's Abbot Ale.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
vinyl_key
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Not a big fan of Newcastle either. It has a malty taste to it that could best be described as "sugar." Tastes waaaaay to sweet for me.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
I'd like to try a fresh pint in the UK, though. Who knows what happens in the hold of a freighter and sitting in a container in some port.
Last time I was there some kid (18) was trying to convince me it was better than drinking wife beater (aka stella, not sure why it's called that). To me it's like drinking soda beer.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #10
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

New Castle is a stand by for me. It is cheap, available everywhere and a great all night drinking beer.

The only offensive (potentially) flavor is a note of diacytl (butter). It goes well with the beer but I could understand some people being put off by it. I have had some bad NC though. Not sure if it is handling or quality inconsistencies.

Aside from the butter, it is a pretty run of the mill good beer. It is like a BMC, but a different style. Great beer and exactly what they are after. Nothing special, but good in the right occassion.

Quick Reply