Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Trying this at home part 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #31
Desert_Sky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnJ
OT, Sierra Vista...Gov contractor.. FT. Huachuca? Went there for AIT many years ago.

yessir. good ole boring ft huachuca

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #32
krispy d
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
So what led you in the direction of the brewpub versus starting a micro and focusing on distribution? Not questioning your choice, but that sounded like the much easier path for you to get started on given your connections to the distribution channel.

In any case, I wish you well, I hope that making this a business doesn't take the joy out of it!

I'm jealous as f*ck...
I've been thinking about this for a long time as well and whole heartily plan to do this in the next 10 years. Now my best friend is the head brewer for old burnside brewing co in E Hartford, ct and will most likely be my partner in the whole deal. We have agreed that for us brew pub is the only way to go. some reasons include: smaller batches, more room for creativity, retail sales (bar) hugely offset costs quicker than wholesale, and a brew pub can grow very easily into local and eventually farther distribution. It seems like the best bet for starting small and growing into your demographic. keep in mind dogfish head started their MD brew pub with a sabco brewmagic system. I'd be willing to bet that 10% or more of this sites regular posters already brew on bigger and better systems now!
Old Burnside Ten Penny Ale
Primary
Westbrook Porter
Secondary

Empty
Up Next
A big IPA ??

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #33
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
Can you give us a top 10 contradictions list or something similar? I know that I'd be interested in reading it.
I second that request!

Old 04-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #34
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
I second that request!

im pleading the 5th for now

Old 04-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #35
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
im pleading the 5th for now

Chimone this is great.

Have you checked into the cost side of getting something going? There is always a lot of talk on here about how expensive all the fees and crap is but no one ever says just how much it will cost.

I'm also curious, if you are already making good beer of your own design what makes school so important?

Thanks.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #36
JnJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
yessir. good ole boring ft huachuca
Coming from Basic Training to there, we called it Fort Resort. I did like the area. If I didn't have my Gov civ position here at Fort Sam Houston, I would'nt mine one there.

Töpperwein Brewery

Old 04-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #37
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd

Have you checked into the cost side of getting something going? There is always a lot of talk on here about how expensive all the fees and crap is but no one ever says just how much it will cost.
depending on investors, or in other words, if I were to do this myself. I would go with a class 3 license. 500 dollars a year, and your can produce and sell up to 200k gallons of your own product a year. This means, no liquor, no BMC ( i know you guys are in tears over that one) and no other beer from a distributor. Im not sure if this means I can distribute myself or not. And 200k gallons a year is a buttload of beer. Of course you're going to have your business license, health license, municiple crap blah blah blah. and this doesnt even cover label approval, beer names, lawyer **** so you dont get sued. which I really dont even want to deal with, but kind of have to

A class 6 license here in town is going to cost me about 125k. But thats anything goes pretty much liquor/beer/food/beer to go......*cough strippers *cough

And Ive spoken with the guys at premier stainless. For what I want its going to be roughly 150k. I can find fermentors cheap (jacketed too) Then theres the whole location part. Thats the killer. Where can I do this. Is it zoned for a bar? How much....etc etc legal crap that makes my head hurt.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #38
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
depending on investors, or in other words, if I were to do this myself. I would go with a class 3 license. 500 dollars a year, and your can produce and sell up to 200k gallons of your own product a year. This means, no liquor, no BMC ( i know you guys are in tears over that one) and no other beer from a distributor. Im not sure if this means I can distribute myself or not. And 200k gallons a year is a buttload of beer. Of course you're going to have your business license, health license, municiple crap blah blah blah. and this doesnt even cover label approval, beer names, lawyer **** so you dont get sued. which I really dont even want to deal with, but kind of have to

A class 6 license here in town is going to cost me about 125k. But thats anything goes pretty much liquor/beer/food/beer to go......*cough strippers *cough

And Ive spoken with the guys at premier stainless. For what I want its going to be roughly 150k. I can find fermentors cheap (jacketed too) Then theres the whole location part. Thats the killer. Where can I do this. Is it zoned for a bar? How much....etc etc legal crap that makes my head hurt.
Thanks for that.

Quick Reply