Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Trying to brew but swmbo has errand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 561 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My last beer I needed to pick my son up from preschool in the middle of the process, so I scheduled the beer so I'd leave during the mash.

It ended up being a longer-than-usual mash (a little under 2 hours), but that's okay as it was a 147 degree mash and I wanted fermentable wort.

A 3 hour interruption, though? For that I'd reschedule a brew day.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have boiled for 3 hours...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Sounds like when brewing Burtons...

Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
TrickyDick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Well, so far not counting skipping brewing Monday, I've got 3 brews in this week. Today's went smoothest. Still having friggin' burner issues: erratically burn orange, then blue, then orange. When the boil kettle is working the HLT and MT are jacked, and vice-versa, but not always! Arrgh!! I'm thinking it could be spiders in the mani or regulator!

I'm planning an ESB for tomorrow, but will see reaction when SWMBO asks, "So what are you doing tomorrow? You're not brewing again are you?" Why yes Dear, I am brewing an ESB.

TD

Old 03-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
TrickyDick

Recipes 

So, in the last 2 weeks I brewed plenty.
One of my burners (actually the pilot light) crapped out, but I was able to tough it out, with only two burners on the last brew. I had to abort the step mash I had planned for the Belgian style "dubbel" I brewed, though, cause burners don't have the guts to pull it off. New burners arrive Wednesday!

One brew I cooked the enzymes, which was the brew I had intended to brew the day SWMBO had errands for me. I was shooting for a 1.037I think I am going to do a countertop minimash of some 6-row probably 1 lb and add to the primary on that batch. I read that worked good per Braukaiser.com, at helping with stalled beers or improperly mashed beers. It was intended to be one of the parts to blend a Newcastle style brew. I had to abort the Old ale part I had planned to brew the following week due to rain. I think that batch is doomed. Guess I should've done the un-blended recipe instead. Maybe I will. Target OG for the amber component, was 1.031, and I cooked the mash accidentally, and added some more malt (2-row) but overshot the OG - ended up 1.047. Gonna just drink it or dump it - only 6 gal batch.

Def got the "stinkeye" from SWMBO a few days. "What are you doing today? You're not brewing again are you?" But in spite of that I was able to brew 8 additional brews (11 Gal each - so I can get two Cornys full after trub losses). Did a Red Ale, a Burton style English Pale Ale, an ESB, a IIPA, a Dry Stout, a Pale Ale, a Stone Levitation Ale clone, and a Belgian-style "Dubbel", all in the last 13 days. 94 gal total (would've been 100 if I had brewed the Old Ale!)

TD

Old 03-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
fpweeks

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Funny you ask this! Last sunday i was just getting ready to collect my first runnings and i get a phone call from my 16 YO's friend. My son had broken his arm snowboarding.

So as i was waiting to get the specifics.....i sparged...put the lid on the BK and put in the garage.

10 hours and surgery later......i returned home with my son. While i stayed home with him this past monday....i threw the kettle on the burner and finished it up.....

fermenting away nicely, we'll see how it turns out.....Broken Arm Porter.....

One way or another, this week will end with a homebrew.......

https://www.facebook.com/pourhousebrews

Old 07-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #17
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpweeks View Post
Funny you ask this! Last sunday i was just getting ready to collect my first runnings and i get a phone call from my 16 YO's friend. My son had broken his arm snowboarding.

So as i was waiting to get the specifics.....i sparged...put the lid on the BK and put in the garage.

10 hours and surgery later......i returned home with my son. While i stayed home with him this past monday....i threw the kettle on the burner and finished it up.....

fermenting away nicely, we'll see how it turns out.....Broken Arm Porter.....
Any update on how things are going? I'm sure by now the arm has healed and beer is possibly all gone.

Contemplating delaying a boil.

brewing a Doppelbock. Tried a Decoction mash - just one decoction and the other steps by adding heat. Skipped protein rest. Lots of teig. I can already tell the sparge, but only 5 gallons, is going to take a long time.

was planning a 90-120 minute boil and the mash - out is still coming up to temp - and its nearly 5PM. Granted I've only got me and the dog this weekend, so I'm free to do as I like.

Thinking Sparge and clean-up tonight, and boil in the morning....

TD

edit- well the Thunder & Lightning storm that started to roll in, just as the longest-sparge-in-history was wrapping up, pretty much decided that my brewing is over for the day. NO Way I could have finished.

Quick Reply