Trub in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cos

Reaction score
I racked to secondary after 8 days and dry hopped with 1/2 oz. tettnanger.
Now after a couple of days, I notice a lot of trub in the carboy.
I still have about 18 days to go. Should I rack to a 3rd. so that I can get rid of the trub?

I could transfer it to a bucket, clean the carboy and then back to the carboy.
This is my first lager, is it normal to get a lot of settling (trub) after the first week or was it the dry hopping?

It's not trub, it is your hops that settled. Leave it till you are ready to bottle or keg and then just rack off it again.

Hard to believe 1/2 oz of dry hopping would cause this much junk in the bottom.
It's been in the secondary since 7/28. Does this look normal?
trub.jpg

Just want to make sure it's not yeast that will end up leaving a foul taste in the beer being in there for 3 weeks.

The pic link is bad however it is normal for a secondary to have 1/4" to 2" of trub/yeast slurry. You should be fine.

http://www.coslow.us/brew.JPG

Try that link, it's using the "insert link" option on this forum. If that doesn't work try opening a separate session of internet explorer and typing it in.

The link works fine for me, but I can't get the image to display in a forum message.

Cos said:
http://www.coslow.us/brew.JPG

Try that link, it's using the "insert link" option on this forum. If that doesn't work try opening a separate session of internet explorer and typing it in.

The link works fine for me, but I can't get the image to display in a forum message.

the link just shows the url http://www.coslow.us/brew.JPG...I just pasted it in the explorer window

Looks like yeast to me. Also looks like you might have racked it to secondary too early because that's a lot of settle out.

Finally figured out how to get the pic to work.

I racked it to secondary on the 7th. day. That was 7 days at 55 deg.

If that's yeast, won't it start to consume itself and leave a bad taste in the beer? Can't remember what my book called that.

keep in mind that I added 1/2 oz tettnanger when I put it in the secondary.

That is all perfectly normal. That yeast is the whole reason you moved to secondary. You could let it sit there for 3 months and it wouldn't affect the flavor of the beer.

Relax and have a homebrew.

kvh

kvh said:
That is all perfectly normal. That yeast is the whole reason you moved to secondary. You could let it sit there for 3 months and it wouldn't affect the flavor of the beer.

Relax and have a homebrew.

kvh

Well thats really not true. After a period of time the yeast will eat some of the compounds within the trub which "may" produce off flavors....however these off flavors can be considered favorable. Especially if you are a fan of "real" ale. The longer your beer sits on the yeast cake the more it evolves.

The answer to your question Cos, yes that is normal yeast slurry and trub, you are fine keeping your beer on that cake for at least a month without any off flavors. And even if you left it on it for longer you will still have perfectly good beer, some would suggest maybe even better.

Glad to hear that. I'm new at this so I'm just being cautious.

Back