Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll assume you mean the hot break/cold break/hops in the boil pot. If so, yes. Ideally you will pitch the yeast once the wort has been cooled and transferred to the fermenting vessel.

I was going to transfer to vessel from brewpot, let cold/hot break/hops settle and then rack off into primary fermenter

The less it's handled the better. After it has cooled give it a good whirlpool stir. When it stops spinning most of your trash should be in the center. Siphon from the edge.

Since I do partial boils and use the transfer from kettle to bucket as part of the aeration I just line the bucket with a paint strainer, dump in the wort (trub and all) then lift the strainer out of the bucket.

to each his own...

I was going to transfer to vessel from brewpot, let cold/hot break/hops settle and then rack off into primary fermenter

That's not what I do, but I'm reading Gordon Strong's new book, and he mentions that he does that sometimes.

You can certainly do it this way. Some whirlpool like the one poster mentioned, others like myself use a paint strainer bag, some use a steel mesh strainer... all perfectly acceptable. But back to your original question, yes, you would pitch after the wort is cooled and transferred to the primary.

So yea, I did the whirlpool thing and it really didn't work very well. Plenty of everything got in the primary. Maybe I'll have to try the paint filter thing - though can't picture what your talking about.

I just pour the whole thing through a large kitchen strainer into my fermenter. Anything small enough to make it though will just settle out anyway.

I do a poor-mans whirl-floc (stir the kettle into a vigorous whirlpool, let it slow and settle while I enjoy a pint, then cool it with my therminator directly into the fermenter, aerate and pitch. So far it has worked quite well. Though when I'm brewing a very light-colored beer, I will just run the output of the therminator into the boil kettle (so that it keeps up a vortex or at least circular motion) until it hits pitching temp, THEN sit back, let the material settle as the circular motion stops, then into the fermenter, aerate and pitch. The point behind the latter method is of course to let the hot AND cold breaks settle -though it takes a bit longer to chill 5 or 6 gallons that way. The results being good beer make it all worth the effort (why else would we do it?)

So yea, I did the whirlpool thing and it really didn't work very well. Plenty of everything got in the primary. Maybe I'll have to try the paint filter thing - though can't picture what your talking about.

This: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/nylon-brew-bucket-filter-bag-fine-mesh.html

Mine has elastic around the top. I sanitize it with my other equipment, then I put the bag on my fermenter bucket. Pour the kettle contents in and remove the bag... it captures all of the crud.

Back