Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > trouble-shooting: sour-plastic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Norselord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default trouble-shooting: sour-plastic

I'm getting a sour plasticky flavor out of my honey blonde.

I will dig out the recipe when i get to work on monday, but for now does that correspond to a volatile organic compound or is it symptomatic of greenness/honey/temperature/etc?

Thanks in advance for your awesome experience and feedback!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

"plastic" tends to come from chlorophenols- that is from chlorines in the brewing water interacting with the products of fermentation.

"Sour" can come from several places, so it's harder to pinpoint. A very light "sour", more like tart, can be from a young beer. It's often compared to a green apple type of tartness. It's from Acetaldehyde, an intermediate compound that will change with some time.

Stronger sour flavors are usually from infection-notably lactobacillus or aceterobacter (vinegar bactheria) but lacto is more common.

Norselord Likes This 
Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Norselord
Recipes 

Thank you, Yoop.

I have been using tap water, but the water here in Cherokee County, GA is very soft and light. I have the water profile at work and can post it if needed. The plastic flavor wasn't noticeable in my IPA, old ale, brown ale, or honey-dark. But was noticeable to the point of disgust in the California common.

If it is chlorophenols from the chlorination of the water, should I start using spring water or is there an additive i can use to remove the chlorine?

The sourness is likely green-ness. Will the acetaldehyde be reduced if the bottles are in the refrigerator, or should they be aged at room temperature?

Old 05-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norselord View Post
Thank you, Yoop.

I have been using tap water, but the water here in Cherokee County, GA is very soft and light. I have the water profile at work and can post it if needed. The plastic flavor wasn't noticeable in my IPA, old ale, brown ale, or honey-dark. But was noticeable to the point of disgust in the California common.

If it is chlorophenols from the chlorination of the water, should I start using spring water or is there an additive i can use to remove the chlorine?

The sourness is likely green-ness. Will the acetaldehyde be reduced if the bottles are in the refrigerator, or should they be aged at room temperature?
If the water is chlorinated, sometimes water providers use choramines since they are more stable and don't dissipate as easily as chlorine. It's an easy fix- one crushed campden tablet stirred into 20 gallons of water will cause a chemical reaction and get rid of the chlorine/chloramine. If you need 10 gallons of water for a batch of beer, 1/2 tablet is used for that amount. There is more on that in the "brew science" area for more information.

Acetaldehyde may be reduced at room temperature, so I'd age the beer at room temperature until it's gone.
Norselord Likes This 
Old 05-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Norselord
Recipes 

Yoop,

I got a water quality report for Cherokee County, GA and my water is almost the same as the Plzen profile in Beersmith:

16mg/l CA
2mg/l Mg
3.5mg/l Na
0.0mg/l SO4
1.6mg/l Cl
17 mg/l HCO3

Could honey have anything to do with it?

Last edited by Norselord; 05-21-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: water data

Old 05-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
brokebucket
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Hey just saw your post. I am troubleshooting a plastic taste that popped up in one of my beers as well.

I had a dry stout that came out with a very strong plastic taste that no other of my beers had. I re-brewed the same recipe using city water in one half-batch and the other I used RO water with chemistry. Just bottled it up this weekend, so hopefully I can give you some details in a week or two.

I have used tap water in every brew thus far, but I am wondering if something in the recipe made the plastic taste really come out in this batch as opposed to the others, which have all been good. Maybe the yeast, maybe the black patent....Im not sure.

Quick Reply