The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > trouble finding hops/yeast in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
jibiru
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default trouble finding hops/yeast in Japan

I brewed in the states for a few years, and it was only as hard as finding the local brew shop. Now i live way out in the boonies in Japan. After talking with the mayor of my town i found out that Japanse law prohibits brewing anything in home over 1% alcohol. He also told me that people generally ignore this rule, and said it it's fine to do whatever i want. That said, barley is a pretty common thing out it the country, i can almost get it for free. Hops are grown here, and its difficult but i can get them. The big problem is brewing yeast. No brew shops here, and i have no clue where to get it. Anyone know anywhere either in japan, or in the states that will ship internationally?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

I know http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/ ship Europe-wide, and it would be worth asking them if they could ship to Japan - they're very nice people and I'm sure will help if they can. That's the only shop I know about, but I'd be amazed if many homebrew stores in the US didn't ship internationally as well.

Or if you really get stuck, I'm sure one of us on here would be able to put a few packets of dried yeast in an envelope to you.

mpearce Likes This 
Old 04-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Whereabouts in Japan? My wife is from there and we visit her family about once a year.

morebeer.com ships internationally.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:51 AM   #4
denimglen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4J
...morebeer.com ships internationally.
I've had three or four shipments from them to New Zealand. Best online site I've ever bought from, fast shipping and awesome service.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There is a brewer in Japan on here. I cannot remember his name. Used to boil up on his tiny balcony! called catfish or something...

Yeup : Catfish.

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Last edited by dibby33; 04-24-2008 at 05:16 AM.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
Brickhouse
Recipes 

If you really can not find a yeast supplier, you may try keeping one or two slants around. I have a few strains available in my ranch.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
jibiru
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4J
Whereabouts in Japan? My wife is from there and we visit her family about once a year.

morebeer.com ships internationally.
I live in a SMALL rice farming town in Akita. almost as far north as you can get on the main island.

all of the normal places i would order from in the states had told me that Japanese customs were super strict so they wouldn't ship there but maybe the UK will. Luckily my cousin lives a few blocks from my brew shop and bailed me out.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
Canada
Recipes 

Hi, My name is Dave, I live in Okinawa Japan. I just recently started home brewing. I got my beer kit " coopers" from online. I want to start brewing more with ingrediants from Japan, I am not sure where to buy barley malt extract or hops? Sounds like you know, can you tell me? Also have you tried using bakers yeast because it sounds like you couldnt locate brewers yeast.. anyways, let me know. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
Matoichi
Recipes 

Hi guys, brewer in the northern island of Hokkaido here, if you are still looking for home brew equipment in japan then www.sakeland.net is a really good service, good range of kits, equipment and hops, grains etc up to an intermediate level. You need a bit of japanese to use the site so let me know if you need help, used them loads and they have really fast service. Theres another site with an enormous range of stuff that I currently can't find the link for but will post when i dig it out

Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
FatherJack
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

http://www.amy.hi-ho.ne.jp/brew/

The guy's name is Aizawa (相澤), he's a good egg and runs a good shop.

Primary: Beer
Bottled: Beer
Future Brews: Beer

mpearce Likes This 

Quick Reply