Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Tried my first pumpkin spice ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #21
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJerryrigger View Post
If you want to use lots of real pumpkin the best way I found using fresh sugar pumpkins was as follows:
Seed and stem pumpkin (skin on is fine)
Slice very thin
dump into stock pot with 1" of boiling water on the bottom
Cover and let it cook (stir it every few min)
Once it is soft (15-30 min) mash it down and run it though a screen trying to get all the juice out
Use this juice for mash water, and first sparge water (if not all).

This is much quicker that baking it, and can give you something to do during mash rests. It adds a little sugar to the beer, but this really varies from pumpkin to pumpkin. From what I've read there really is almost no starch in them, so there is no point adding meat to the mash (unless you really like a stuck sparge)
Perhaps the pumpkin in the mash imparts a flavor profile that one couldn't get by just adding the juice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #22
scottmd06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like their Cherry Wheat and on occasion Ive been in the mood for their Summer Ale, but that Winter Lager or whatever was just hard to get through. I ended up dumping the rest of the six pack just to save the bottles lol

Old 10-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #23
GillandCo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I couldn't get into the summer wheat...In all Honesty it tasted like medicine.

If you don't like it...We don't Care!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #24
DrJerryrigger
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
Perhaps the pumpkin in the mash imparts a flavor profile that one couldn't get by just adding the juice.
That is possible, I can't say for sure how the methods compare. The juice has quite a lot of flavor, and I wouldn't think that one would get much (if any) more from pumpkin in the mash. A side by side test would be nice, but I'm not panning another pumpkin brew till fall 2011. One thing that makes it difficult to compare is you can use the juice from many more pumpkins that you could fit in a mash (unless your grain bill is 75% rice hulls).

Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #25
Encinoman
Recipes 

I tried that "Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale" a couple weeks ago, made by Pyramid if you check the bottle. It wasn't to shabby, I did like the Sam Adams Pumpkin Ale a little better. Kinda disappointing to hear about the DFH punkin getting such negative reviews, that was next on the list. I plan on making a Pumpkin ale in time for thanksgiving. Are there any extract recipes out there? If not I was gonna get the kit from NB and add extra extra pumpkins. Any suggestions?

Also, winter lager is definitely the slowest selling Sam Adams Seasonal on tap at our bar, the worst of the seasonals IMO. Enjoy the Oktoberfest while it lasts.

"May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."

Primary:Triple Rye Red Ale
Secondary:Empty :(

Bottles: Lights Out (#8) Belgian Trappist ale Surly Cynic PM clone, Sierra Red Rock IPA, St. Paul Porter, Pumpkin Ale, Carribou Slobber

Quick Reply