New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The trick to a great low-alcohol brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
menschmaschine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Whether it be a Mild or an Ordinary Bitter, start with Marris Otter as a base malt and use English or English-like hops. Then choose an English yeast and fermentation temperature that suits the flavors you're trying to achieve (esters/phenols, etc.). Designing Great Beers has some good info on brewing these styles.

END TRANSMISSION

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

I find adding some rye (10-15%) can make for great small beers. Ordinary Bitters run 3-3.5% and can be extremely refreshing. Fermenting at the low-end for the yeast is also a good idea.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #13
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenbuick View Post
How do they do it, according to my brewere friends at Miller / Coors they start with beer that is 7 - 8 % abv and then water it down.
I have tried the same trick, but have been unhappy with the results.
That sounds nasty.
I guess that is done purely for financial reasons.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
bronzdragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As was touched on earlier, one of the tricks in the process is mashing high. Maybe 154-156. This will put a lot of unfermentables in your wort and produce a lower alcohol beer with more body.

There are a lot of styles which you could probably formulate to work, flavor wise, changing them into session beers.

Cheers

~r~

Old 10-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I just made my first mild and it really turned out pretty good. No special tricks or anything, just a decent recipe.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
fredthecat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 71

old bump... but this was the only thread i found on the topic i was looking for...

so, there was some general advice in this thread about making a low alc beer. but...

the OG doesn't matter so much as the FG? If i have an FG of 1.012 or so from an OG of of 1.04, will it have a similar feeling of density/body as a beer of FG 1.012 from a higher OG?

ive only made one low alc beer before and it was accidental and i wasn't too happy with the body or balance of it. FG i think was about 1.008, alc around 4, and too bitter for what it was. go ahead and disagree with me on having it too bitter if you want ...

so, what are some suggestions for making a thick low alc? a ton of crystal? unmalted grains? wheat? a certain yeast or high mashtemp?

Old 09-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

A lower attenuation yeast, such as Windsor, is helpful. It leaves more sweetness/body behind.

Higher mash temps do the same.

I presently have a 3.8% Hefeweizen that tastes as good or better than a stronger version. It is light, but still very flavorful. To me, it is everything a summer beer should be.

Beer is supposed to be about hospitality. I have never had anybody taste one of my beers and call it watery. And yet, they can walk out of my place after a few hours of relaxing and still function.

I don't even like the drunken stupor anymore... But man do I love to put away a few good pints!

The beers finish sooner, are ready quickly, and taste great and fairly true to whatever style you desire.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 170

I've had good luck brewing lowering ABV Pales (<4%) and then dry-hopping the bejesus out of them in the keg. Adds a lot of flavor (though no body).

Another vote for mashing high - really helps to round out the mouthfeel.

Think it would be interesting to try to get a low ABV by brewing an 8% beer and splitting it into two batches with boiled water. I'm going to try that soon.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Francis Albert Sinatra

Old 09-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #19
Cranny04
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For low ABV beers I Mash High, Mash Thin, and use a low attenuating yeast (I like WLP008 for American style ales WLP002 for English ales)

I also believe that your recipe should be some what simple... There is not a ton of character to hide behind in low OG beers.. If you try and make a kitchen sink beer it will come out muddled...

My Blog: Bros Beer

Old 09-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

One thing that I would add that hasn't been mentioned yet is getting some kettle caramelization for color and flavor. Mash high, drain a gallon of your first runnings and boil that down as much as you can in a separate pot while you're doing the regular boil with everything else and then add it back at the end. This may not be appropriate for all styles, but I just did a Scottish Ale at about 4.3% ABV and it tasted great!

I hate Walder Frey...

Quick Reply