Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Travel and Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
rustym
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default Travel and Beer

I travel a lot in my job. I go to some big cities and to small towns. Sometimes I may be in 3-4 small towns in a week. Being in a big city and finding good beer in the evenings is usually no problem. The smaller towns are a challenge. If I can, I like to find small brewpubs or just places that have a good selection of craft beers.

One of my usual "go to" places is Buffalo Wild Wings. You can usually find one in most towns, or at least something like them. While I'm not that crazy about their food, they usually have a good selection on tap or at least a lot of some good bottled beer. I can usually walk right in to the bar and order some OK food but have a couple of good beers before going back to the hotel.

Does anyone have any other places they try to hit or any ideas when traveling. I bet there are a lot of guys here that run into the same thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just explore the city I'm in and try their craft brews if they exist, or get the local breweries' beers from the liquor store.

B

Old 01-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
PirateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You could always use Yelp.com when you travel. You can just search the term craft beer and the location you are in and it should come up with a list of restaurants, bars, and other places that serve craft beer. You'll also be able to see reviews of the places so you know what to expect and can pick the place you think will be the best.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
skeeordye11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://beermapping.com is an awesome tool to use whenever I'm headed out of town. It probably won't do a lot for you in the small towns, but for the cities it's great!

Old 01-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I always just use the google before I'm traveliing and search "Brewpubs" and "Beer Stores" to see. A lot of places, even beer stores catering to geeks like us actually have websites and will have a list of beers.

Beer advocate usually lists stuff form major cities.

This is a farily good site too. Craft Beer Locator.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
rustym
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Thanks, Guys!

I already found a new one through the "Craft Beer Locator" in Harrisonburg, VA, called Calleys. I will be checking it out this week.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Also it's not uncommon for folks to start threads here as well. "I'm heading to Patterson NJ, where ca I find good beer?" like that. Heck we've ended up having meetups because of that. Nothing better than to be stuck out of town and getting to finally meet a fellow HBT'er

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
malc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

pubcrawler.com has worked for me in the past.

Quick Reply