Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Trapped without a pint glass

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
Sedge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love my local dollar store. I can get weizen glasses, half liter mugs, coca cola glasses, and those awesome Gordon Biersch style glasses.

Also a lot of stores that sell a decent variety of beer will have some glasses. I've found Sam Adams displays set up at a few places with their perfect pints.

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
RyanPDX
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffondg View Post
After the first I just drank from the bottle; something I never do.
I need to have my wife read this, she is always giving me crap for drinking every beer from a glass rather than the bottle.

Primary-IPA - Inversion Clone
Primary - Cream Ale
Primary- Edworts Apfelwein
Secondary -
Bottled - Belgian Wit
Bottled - Belgian Dubbel

Why do all my hobbies involve the BATF?

Old 12-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #13
phasedweasel
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Drinking from the bottle makes a surprisingly large difference in the taste. I hate how at fancy events they will serve wine in beautiful glasses, and then hand you a 33° bottle wrapped in a napkin.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

So anyone want to explain the advantages of a mason jar to me? It seems worse than a shaker glass (and I think those are horrible). I have a lot of willbecher glasses which I think are okay, but I generally prefer stemmed glasses as the give me the option to not warm the liquid with my hand if I choose (something drinkers of other adult beverages figured out long ago). This is especially important if you are pouring a beer at a warmer temperature and not drinking it very fast. If grandma has wine glasses, I would have gone that way.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #15
frolickingmonkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffondg View Post
Dude, I can totally relate! I was at the in-laws last night without homebrew but brought some Flying Dog Horn Dog Barley Wine which is really good but all she had was those plastic Solo cups. After the first I just drank from the bottle; something I never do.
Ack! Keg cups! I took a growler of Chuckanut Brewery Marzen to Christmas Eve dinner at my aunt's house and keg cups were what she had available for all forms of beverages... I think she just didn't want to do dishes or something. I drank my first beer out of a keg cup, and then couldn't handle it, so scoured the cupboards when she wasn't looking and found suitable beer mug...

Primary: Delicious Beer
Secondary: Delicious Beer, Delicious Cider
Kegeratin': Delicious Draft Beer
Bottled: Delicious Bottled Beer and Cider

Old 12-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #16
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

My in laws have nasty water so all there glasses have this film on them. It doesn't come off in the beer, but completely ruins the beer experience. I've thought of taking my own glasses, but that would just be insulting/snobbish to great people. Yes, I said it. I have great inlaws.
I will be serving my HB out of keg cups on New Years. To hell with you people if you think I'm washing all those glasses!!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #17
Cheaton
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go out and buy one? Walmart, target, dollar stores, even some grocery stores have them.

Primary - Plain Pub Bitter

Bottled - Brewer's Best English Brown Ale (Suprisingly good!), EdWort's Apfelwein, Cleveland Winter Pale Ale

Tap-A-Drafted - Sweet Baby Stout

On Deck -

Old 12-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
So anyone want to explain the advantages of a mason jar to me? It seems worse than a shaker glass (and I think those are horrible). I have a lot of willbecher glasses which I think are okay, but I generally prefer stemmed glasses as the give me the option to not warm the liquid with my hand if I choose (something drinkers of other adult beverages figured out long ago). This is especially important if you are pouring a beer at a warmer temperature and not drinking it very fast. If grandma has wine glasses, I would have gone that way.
There's no ADVANTAGE to a mason jar in this case, it was how to improvise. I mainly use them for.....canning. The OP wanted options, he got options.

Same with "go out and buy X." Okey-dokey, I ordered my wife a nice set of Mikasa Arctic Lights Old Fashioned Glasses for Christmas. Beautiful. Twenty a pop. Different situation, too.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #19
GrizlyGarou
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
My lack of knowing what a shaker glass is might be an indication that I choose to drink out of mason jars.

What the heck is a shaker glass, anyway?

Also, don't knock it till you've tried it. I've had the same beer in one of those Sam Adams glasses and a mason jar. Little difference other than the price.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #20
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Wine glass if you can stand the funny looks.

I hate beer from mason jars.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Quick Reply