New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Transporting Reverse Osmosis Water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
laserghost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Transporting Reverse Osmosis Water

I've been building water from 70–80% distilled and the rest tap water, and then adding minerals with great success. So far I've been buying 7–8 gal of distilled, in the one gallon jugs that are $1 a pop.

At a different grocery store nearby I noticed an RO dispenser and it was something like $2 for 5 gal. I think I'm gonna try this route, but how do you guys transport the RO water from the grocery store? I'd need about 7–8 gal.

Just bring several buckets with lids and start lugging? Typing this, I realize this sounds like the only solution, but just wondering how this plays out ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
BigRedHopHead
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Most of the grocers around me have an RO dispenser where you can buy the 5 gallon water carboys. WalMart has the best price for me. $3.70 for 10 gallons of RO water. Buy the carboys the first time and then only pay refill rates going forward. Check WalMart as they use Culligan and usually they have a stand with empty carboys next to the RO dispenser.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Better bottles?

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 02-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
HopSong
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've purchased two 5g bottles from WalMart. They are durable and come with screw caps. Handles built in for easier carrying. Once you pay the few $$ upfront, your water will be dirt cheap. Around here, Glacier Water machines pump out RO water for 36-37 cents per gallon. Works well. Depending on how well the machines are maintained, they may/not pump out water that is as sanitary as bottled water. I say that because the spouts on the RO water machines need to be sanitized frequently.. as should other parts of the machine. So "I" personally would not use it for top off water w/o first boiling it.. in fact, I wouldn't use it for top off water no matter what w/o boiling first unless it was being topped off in the BK.

That said, Dollar Stores sell Crystal Geyser or Alhambra water for $1/gallon. A good deal.. and I believer there are zero sanitation issues with that.

Probably too much info

Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
MikeInMKE
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've been brewing with water I get from the RO dispenser at my local grocery store.

I first sanitize my 6.5G Better Bottle, 6G brewing bucket, or 6G bottling bucket, seal it closed with a sanitized lid, take it to grocery store, unseal, fill, re-seal and drive home.

The ale pail has a lid. If I use a carboy, I sanitize some saran wrap and hold that on with a rubber band.

I also take a sanitized 1G jug and fill that as well, so I have some extra, should I need it.

Primary 1: Maibock
Primary 2: Marzen (Oktoberfest)
Primary 3: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Grateful Dead Guy, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Oktoberfest, Maibock, Barnyard Brown Ale, EdWort's Robust Porter, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Mosaic APA, Moose Drool clone plus, Raging Red Irish Ale, Galaxy APA, Dead Guy clone

Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Braufessor
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Yep - Just buy the bigger carrying vessels. They usually sell them anywhere there is an RO dispenser.... at least they do around here. Personally, I like the 3 gallon containers - they are a little more manageable than 5 gallons. I have 5 x 3 gallon containers. .39 cents a gallon for refills. Before that, I just loaded up the cart with 15-20 1 gallon jugs and filled them all up. Kind of a PITA dealing with that many jugs though, so I switch to the bigger containers.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 640

I did just that for a long time! When I went to 10 gallon batches, I found it more bothersome to lug all that water. About a year ago, I bought my own RO water system for my brewery for about $110 just for the convenience factor!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1196 Times on 789 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Any sporting goods or camping store (or probably even Target) will carry this kind of thing:

They're nice because they don't take up much space when empty.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4522 Times on 4243 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserghost View Post
I've been building water from 70–80% distilled and the rest tap water, and then adding minerals with great success. So far I've been buying 7–8 gal of distilled, in the one gallon jugs that are $1 a pop.

At a different grocery store nearby I noticed an RO dispenser and it was something like $2 for 5 gal. I think I'm gonna try this route, but how do you guys transport the RO water from the grocery store? I'd need about 7–8 gal.

Just bring several buckets with lids and start lugging? Typing this, I realize this sounds like the only solution, but just wondering how this plays out ...
You don't get to take it home. They expect you to drink it all right there.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Liked 1656 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1132

I saved 7 1 gallon spring water jugs from the grocery store. They charge 79c per gallon for it up on the corner from me. but I can drive out to Cherry Knoll or Artisian Springs & get fresh pumped spring water for 10c a gallon. Beat that.

Quick Reply