Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Trader Joe's Double Bock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Halbrust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Trader Joe's Double Bock

Just had one of these over the weekend. It was called a Winter Brew, and said it was a double bock.

For those of you who have had it before: Was it a decent representation of the style?

I had two TJ beers, the Winter Brew and a Dunkelweisse. The wheat beer was way too roasty in my opinion. It drifted into porter territory with the burnt toast taste.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2270 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1703

I'll have to get over to Trader Joe's in Westlake & see how it is. Haven't had that one yet.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Any idea who makes it? Their annual Vintage Ale is made by Unibroue and is a delicious Belgian dark strong ale.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 10-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2270 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1703

Paulaner sells the famous Salvator Doppelbock from Germany. The Salvatoran monks made & sold it in the middle ages. Try that one,I love it. I like the bottles too,they delabel in about an hour in PBW. The older Paulaner bottles had bearded monks around the shoulder of the bottle. I jelously guard those,as the embossing has been discontinued.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 454

I'll have to look for that one. I didn't see it the last time I stopped in a TJ.

I know Firestone-Walker makes some of the Trader Joe's beers. The Mission St. ones, I think. And like somebody said, Unibroue makes their holiday vintage beers.

All of their store brand beers are no joke and super good deals. They get legit breweries to make the beer for them.

I also like their Botswain line. Especially the HLV (heavy lift vessel) ale. Not sure what style that one is, but something british. The double IPA isn't my favorite, though. I think that line is brewed by Minhas Brewing.

Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Old 10-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

TJ house brands are my go-to commerical beers. Just over $1 per bottle for Firestone Walker-brewed pale ale & IPA? Yes please.

I think Gordon Biersch brews their "Joseph's Brau" line which are all pretty good.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I'm with you on the TJ's beer. Certainly not world class brews, but I think its some of the best cheap beer you can find. I just had a bomber of HLV over the weekend. I haven't found a bottle that has an easier label to remove than either the Botswain or the Mission street 22oz bottles, even just a quick hot water soak will pull the label right off.

Primary: Curvaceous AK, Ruinatious Wheat

Quick Reply