Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Townhouse Regulations on Turkey Fryers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
njnear76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Townhouse Regulations on Turkey Fryers

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of moving to a townhouse this year and was wondering what the normal procedure was regarding propane turkey fryers. I suppose it varies based on the townhouse association. I also wanted to know if you ever ran across problems with neighbors regarding brewing outside your townhouse.

Thanks,
Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I'm not sure what the actual rules are, but I really think it comes down to what the neighbors think of it. If it's against the rules and the neighbors don't report it, no harm done. Conversely, if it's not against the rules but the neighbors complain, you will be asked (sternly) to desist. So, get to know your neighbors and let them no what you're doing so they don't think you're cooking up meth.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
DraconianHand
nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Prior to purchasing your townhome, you should request a copy of the HOA rules from the current homeowner. Unfortunately, I can see that if a HOA prohibits anything, it will be the use of turkey friers NOT frying of food in turkey friers.

A turkey frier used to make beer or do a crab boil isn't any dangerous than using a gas grill. Frying food using a turkey frier is a bit more dangerous.

Ferminatin' - Route 666 Pale Ale

Figurin' to do - Oatmeal Stout, Gueuze, Belgian Blonde, Mild, English Pale Ale, Weizenbock

Old 02-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraconianHand
Prior to purchasing your townhome, you should request a copy of the HOA rules from the current homeowner. Unfortunately, I can see that if a HOA prohibits anything, it will be the use of turkey friers NOT frying of food in turkey friers.

A turkey frier used to make beer or do a crab boil isn't any dangerous than using a gas grill. Frying food using a turkey frier is a bit more dangerous.
Most of the townhouse rules that I see basically state: "Propane grills can not be used within 5 feet of the building."

I can see people looking at me weird, because they think I might burn down everything. Maybe the thing to do is to introduce myself to the neighbors prior to moving in and telling them that I brew beer and I would never do anything to endanger the neighborhood.

I wish I could buy a house, but NJ is so expensive.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Funny you should ask as I'll be finding out tomorrow. Its probably against the association laws but quite frankly, they can go **** themselves. I called the town to see if its against their laws and they said "I dunno". So assuming my neighbors don't freak out and call the cops, I should be fine. I'm only doing the boil outside so I won't be out there the whole time. I'll let you know how it goes...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive
Funny you should ask as I'll be finding out tomorrow. Its probably against the association laws but quite frankly, they can go **** themselves. I called the town to see if its against their laws and they said "I dunno". So assuming my neighbors don't freak out and call the cops, I should be fine. I'm only doing the boil outside so I won't be out there the whole time. I'll let you know how it goes...
Out of curiousity... Where were your brewing prior to this?

Old 02-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnear76
Out of curiousity... Where were your brewing prior to this?
At my buddy's house about 5 minutes away. It just sucks hauling my gear every time so I'm trying it at my place now. I brewed at Bobby's as well but thats even farther away...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
At my buddy's house about 5 minutes away. It just sucks hauling my gear every time so I'm trying it at my place now. I brewed at Bobby's as well but thats even farther away...
Yeah. I brew at my brother-in-laws and I keep all my equipment over there. It is starting to become a hassle, because I feel like I'm infringing. Frankly, I just want to do this crap at my own house.

I'll admit that it is one of the major reasons why I want to move. There are other reasons of course, storage space being the number one issue. I maxed out hiding stuff behind and under furniture.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnear76
Yeah. I brew at my brother-in-laws and I keep all my equipment over there. It is starting to become a hassle, because I feel like I'm infringing. Frankly, I just want to do this crap at my own house.

I'll admit that it is one of the major reasons why I want to move. There are other reasons of course, storage space being the number one issue. I maxed out hiding stuff behind and under furniture.
I wish I could keep stuff at his house! No but I can see it getting awkward after a while. I also want to move for this reason. SWMBO and I are looking at other states, mostly NC now...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 02-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I wish I could keep stuff at his house! No but I can see it getting awkward after a while. I also want to move for this reason. SWMBO and I are looking at other states, mostly NC now...
Sigh. It's really sad that people our age can't make it work in this area. I have a great job and get paid well, but it's not enough to really buy something half-way decent in a nice neighborhood. Even if you can do it, you feel like you are just getting by. If God forbid you lose your job or something, you just might lose everything.

I really want to move away from this state, but my wife's family lives here. I think she would have a tough time adjusting.

Quick Reply