Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Tour of Sweetwater Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Tour of Sweetwater Brewery

Ok, so a few months back my wife picked up what she thought was a corny keg that I could use for my homebrew. She only paid a buck for it. Well it turned out that it was a keg from Sweetwater Brewery. It was just like a corny keg, but was modified and welded up with a sanke connection. There wasn't much that I could do with it, so I contacted the brewer about returning it to the brewery. He said that they no longer use those types of kegs. So I then decided to just pair it up with a hand pump tap that I had back in college. I was asking $15 for both, figuring I could get a little bit of money out of the tap and someone could take the keg and do whatever they want with it.

Well out of the blue someone from the brewery saw the listing on craigslist and offered my asking price plus a case of their 420 if I bring it to the brewery. This sounded like a sweet deal to me. I told the guy that I was wanting to take a tour of the brewery anyway, so it was no problem coming by....plus the free case of beer was a nice bonus! Well, to make a long story short I ended up with 2 passes to tour the brewery and a case of beer for bringing the keg and tap to the brewery.

We ended up going last night (Friday night). It was packed. Everyone at the brewery was awesome. Very friendly. My wife and I had a blast. Here's some pictures of the brewery, in case any of you are interested.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hossthegreat/SweetWaterBrewingCompany?feat=directlink

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

These guys are great. They went through a lot of trouble to get my homebrew club 2 cases of IPA and APA a couple months back.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 09-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
HossTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Of course, why wouldn't they all be friendly? They're all allowed to drink beer on the job.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
chuggs
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I finally got to taste some of their products while we were up in Georgia...camping on Tybee Island.

I had the Sweetwater 420... it was light, refreshing. Then I stopped on the way back to camp and got a 6-pack of the 420 and the IPA. The IPA wasn't bad...but not quite as crisp a hop bite as I like in an IPA. The 420 still held it's own as an all-around good beer to go with seafood...which is all I eat when I'm up on the Georgia coastal region ---YUMMY!

Can't wait to get up there to take a brewery tour! I'd love to try some of their other beers...but they don't seem to be distributed down in FL yet...at least that I've seen anywhere.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
HossTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuggs View Post
I finally got to taste some of their products while we were up in Georgia...camping on Tybee Island.

I had the Sweetwater 420... it was light, refreshing. Then I stopped on the way back to camp and got a 6-pack of the 420 and the IPA. The IPA wasn't bad...but not quite as crisp a hop bite as I like in an IPA. The 420 still held it's own as an all-around good beer to go with seafood...which is all I eat when I'm up on the Georgia coastal region ---YUMMY!

Can't wait to get up there to take a brewery tour! I'd love to try some of their other beers...but they don't seem to be distributed down in FL yet...at least that I've seen anywhere.
Actually they said that the would begin distributing to Orlando before the end of the year. At the brewery was the first time I had a chance to try the IPA. I really liked it. Certainly had a lot of grapefruit aroma and tase coming through.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:22 AM   #6
Halldawg
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Love Sweetwater! One of the guys there went to college with me. Helped to bottle the Festive Ale one year. Great time. Drink one, bottle one.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
HossTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halldawg View Post
Love Sweetwater! One of the guys there went to college with me. Helped to bottle the Festive Ale one year. Great time. Drink one, bottle one.
Man, I imagine that must have been a blast.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I am also a big fan of Sweetwater's 420!

Man, I sound like Richard Nixon on The Simpsons, "Uh, I'd also like to express my fondness for that particular beer."

Old 09-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
HossTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I am also a big fan of Sweetwater's 420!

Man, I sound like Richard Nixon on The Simpsons, "Uh, I'd also like to express my fondness for that particular beer."
Yup, the 420 and the IPA were by far my favorite 2.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
BA_from_GA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah 420 is great, but the Sweet GA brown is my favorite regular brew of theirs. Man i miss the Exodus Porter. They should be slapped for replacing it with the hummer. Damn fools.

brewing lots, rather not keep it all updated here

inhbc.org

Quick Reply