Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Top Tip for Aerating

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #31
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I had a batch start going ape in 45 minutes and get to 1010 in around 12 hours (That was on a yeast cake). Now there is no way I'd use 02 in that. Most of my batches are going realy well in 12-24 hours and slowing within 48-36 hours. I don't make full starters I just hydrate the yeast with a little food at the start of a brew and let it sit in a warm place for around 3-4 hours.
I don't normally need a blow off tube but get a good 1 to 2 inch krausen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #32
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'm not 100% certain but I think the O2 is really only critical for yeast propagation (reproduction). When you pitch on a cake, I think it's safe to assume there are already enough viable cells to get the job done (which you've empirically witnessed).

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #33
lostnfoam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

This is such a fun topic because we all brew a little bit different. I’m still new to brewing well I think so. Right now I'm on my 6th batch and every time I find new ways to do stuff. In my last three batches have been using the mix stir witch really get the job done. I mix the wort like crazy for about 15- 20 minutes. Then I pitch and the yeast and plug it up. I also started make starters for my beers. Normally only a two cup starter unless the OG is over 1055 then I make a half gallon. Well the are many different methods we use and I think soon when I start to do full 5 gal boils then I’ll switch to O2.

Secondary:

Bottled: English pale ale (first AG), cream ale, phat trye, oatmeal stout, imperial pumkin, imperial Ipa, kreik, calowiezen, winter warmer, st john IPA, pumkin ale, pumkin porter, imperial stout, belgain pale ale

Next to brew: coffee brown ale, witenger, belgain pale ale

Quick Reply