*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Top Tip for Aerating

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #11
Hardball
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I use the dump and splash method to aerate.....

....I also use the same method to clean my a$$ sometimes.

Secondary: Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Empty
Drinking: Commercial
RIP:English Special Bitter, American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, IPA, American Wheat w/Raspberry Puree, Oatmeal Stout, Summit IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2007, 04:51 PM   #12
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Let's hope your beer tastes better than your ass smells!

Old 01-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjones31
Let's hope your beer tastes better than your ass smells!
.... and you're aware of his ass-scent how, exactly?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 993 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Good points Doug. Obviously the level of attenuation is a preference thing otherwise yeasts like Windsor wouldn't be sold. We need to clarify for those interested that "IF" you want greater attenuation, oxygenation is probably a good idea. My experiment results should add some validity to that, unless I've been hallucinating during the last few batches.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #15
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
.... and you're aware of his ass-scent how, exactly?

With an ass washing technique of "Dump and Spash", I would assume that some funk is left behind. Ass wahing needs "scrubbing" to be effective.

I have no doubt that using pure oxygen to pump up your oxygen content is going to increase attenuation and the speed of fermentation. How much and is it worth the trouble are the questions to answer.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:07 PM   #16
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
The O2 tanks are supposed to last like twenty batches, though, which I guess for you would last you a good two or three months....

How long do you use the pump for? Personally, I'd rather be buying tanks once or twice a year and only having to aerate for a couple minutes. I want to get the yeast pitched and the fermenter sealed up ASAP.
I use it for 30-60 minutes, depending on the size of the boil. I actually pitch before aerating, so it can get a head start...and I have a technologically advanced method of protecting from contamination, wherein I use tape to secure the square inline HEPA filter to the top of the carboy so that no falling airborne bacteria find their way into my fermenter.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #17
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Good points Doug. Obviously the level of attenuation is a preference thing otherwise yeasts like Windsor wouldn't be sold. We need to clarify for those interested that "IF" you want greater attenuation, oxygenation is probably a good idea. My experiment results should add some validity to that, unless I've been hallucinating during the last few batches.
IMHO, you shouldn't be adjusting the performance of the yeast to determine how sweet/dry your finished beer is. The better way to go about controlling it would be to get your attenuation as high as is reasonably possible, and then control/adjust the fermentable/unfermentable sugars ratio in your wort. This can be done by adjusting your specialty grains, or by adding complex sugars like maltodextrin (my choice for fuller beers) or lactose.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #18
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Why "better," though?

As an example, I think using pure O2 is "better" than using an aquarium pump, but since you have a system that works for you, that's great, no need for you to change.

If it works for the man...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #19
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjones31
I have no doubt that using pure oxygen to pump up your oxygen content is going to increase attenuation and the speed of fermentation. How much and is it worth the trouble are the questions to answer.
Like I said above, since I started using my aeration kit, my attenuation on average has gone up by about 10%. My beers have gotten better as a direct result---prior to purchasing the kit, I honestly could not get ANY of my brews to ferment below 1.020.

And it's no "trouble" really, just a one-time $32 investment.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 01-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #20
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Why "better," though?

As an example, I think using pure O2 is "better" than using an aquarium pump, but since you have a system that works for you, that's great, no need for you to change.

If it works for the man...
If it works. It just seems to me that controlling the yeast performance level is alot harder than controlling your grain bill. But, yeah, if it works...go for it.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Quick Reply