Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Toothache Plant?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
daxdefranco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Toothache Plant?

Has anyone seen these or used them to brew with? when you chew the leaves there's a short but intense increase in saliva production and a hot numbing effect on your tongue and gums.

"I must create a beer or be enslaved by another mans"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I have no idea what plant you're referring to, and I've certainly never brewed with it. I'm the last to shy away from nontraditional brewing herbs -- I've made a good couple of gruits along the way, but I'd wonder that if you brewed with and/or drank something made with any significant quantity of this.... Well, just listen to your description: "...there's a short but intense increase in saliva production..." If that effect continues throughout the gut, you might be looking at some intense diarrhea...

Do you know the real name of this plant/herb?

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 06-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I remember as a kid, my neighbor had a tree they called the "toothache tree" We'd climb in it and make tree houses.. what fun. It was a common tree in the south.. Louisiana is where I lived. It had long sharp spines. If you got a toothache, you'd press the spine in the cavity and there would be numbing. Check Xanthophyllum clava-herculis

BUT........ never knew anything about brewing beer in those days. Not sure why you'd want a numbing effect.. heck.. have a couple more good brews.. and it starts to happen.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
daxdefranco
Recipes 

Thanks for your reply!

That's the real name, or at least the common name. here's a link: http://rareseeds.com/toothache-plant.html

I've chewed a leaf and made a tea out of it. the chewing is much stronger, the tea gave a bit of the numbing effect and some of the saliva production, but not nearly as strong. i'm not saying i would brew with this, but wondering if anyone had/could because it's VERY bitter.

"I must create a beer or be enslaved by another mans"

Quick Reply