Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Too cold during cold crashing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Nike_Eayrs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Too cold during cold crashing?

I'm in Wisconsin and set my fermentor in the garage to cold crash. This morning I realized that it turned to slush. Is it ruined? Will this affect bottle conditioning? Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Oooh, here is your chance to experiment with freeze distallation. Some guys would kill for such an opportunity.

No your beer isn't ruined and I don't think it will affect your yeast enough to give you problems with bottle conditioning. Let it warm up and bottle it is what I would do. If you are really worried about it you can pitch more yeast into the bottling bucket.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Agreed. Warm it up and bottle like normal. You can add half a packet of yeast if you're concerned about it carbonating in time. I froze one of my kegs by accident a few weeks ago and it turned out fine taste wise. It was already carbonated though.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

If there's any yeast in the beer, you may have lysed the cells which can give you a nasty burnt rubber or soy sauce flavor that won't age out. Thaw the beer, taste it, and if it's still good, go ahead and bottle.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply