Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Thumbs up for morebeer.com!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Palefire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Thumbs up for morebeer.com!

Just wanted to throw a shout-out for morebeer.com. I went to the retail store in Concord last week to stock up on supplies, hops, etc, since they're so damn much cheaper than my LHBS (which shall remain nameless). The dude working there was super friendly and helpful.

Their printer wasn't working, so I didn't get a printout of my receipt, but it was e-mailed to me. When I got home I saw that the prices for some hops I had bought were a lot more expensive than they were advertised as on-line (their 2oz bags of Willamette were advertised as $3.25/2oz; they didn't have any 2oz bags in the store, so I bought a bunch of 1oz bags - when I got home I saw that I was charged almost $3 per 1oz bag!). I e-mailed them, explained the situation, and after a bit of e-mail exchanging, they're going to credit my account for the difference.

Nothing special, but I generally think it's nice to spread the word about companies that provide good customer service. So there you go. Two thumbs up!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
boredatwork
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have found that there in-store prices are not the same as the website.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

storefronts cost more than a shipping warehouse. it is not uncommon to pay more to get something at a storefront, than if you order it from the same companie's warehouse.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have found most things that I buy from them are the same in store as online such as grain, star-san 3-piece air lock etc... I just submitted a big order today actually.

I was just adding up my orders, I have spent over $700 there since November

Old 08-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
HenryHill

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Try ordering equipment and stuff from them online, and you will come away with a whole new outlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 08-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
CarlLBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

yeah, not kidding. I've had out of stocks on the last five orders i've placed. more often then not its the main thing i'm making the order for. I've spent well over 1500 with more beer but have found myself using them as a last resort.

That's what she said.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Since I'm in Hayward, More Beer is about a 35 minute drive for me. So, they're kind of like my LHBS, I do frequent Hoptech occasionally. I'm not sure how they handle their website and internet orders. Many times I've seen things online that I want to get and it says they're out of stock. However, when I go up there, not only do they have it, they have several. When I get home the item will still be listed on their website as out of stock for days even weeks after I bought the item. This is at the Concord location, which I believe is their main warehouse. I'm not sure who handles their inventory, but they aren't always on the ball. The guys in the store though are very helpful!

Old 08-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
CarlLBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

well, thats just fantastic for you

That's what she said.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Try ordering equipment and stuff from them online, and you will come away with a whole new outlook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLBC View Post
yeah, not kidding. I've had out of stocks on the last five orders i've placed. more often then not its the main thing i'm making the order for. I've spent well over 1500 with more beer but have found myself using them as a last resort.
+1 here. Walking into their store and looking at the inventory on the shelves is different. If it were like the online version, then you'd walk into the store, see an item on the shelf, pick it up, put it on the counter to check out, and when you turned around, it would be gone. When you went back to the shelf to get another one, the rest would be mysteriously gone too.

Personally, I don't order from them anymore, and I won't until their inventory system gets fixed. The last 3 or 4 times I tried ordering from them, I would put a whole bunch of stuff (stuff that said "in stock", of course) into my cart, check out, then a day or two later, I'd check on my order status only to see that the entire order was being held up because one of the "in stock" items wasn't actually in stock. Once is one thing, but when it becomes a recurring problem, I gotta go elsewhere. The OHBS scene is replete with awesome stores looking to please you. I personally am fond of Northern Brewer and Midwest. They seem to have the best selection, good prices, and never any of that hocus-pocus inventory nonsense. Austin Homebrew is great too, as long as you don't order from them during a sale---because that often means your order is delayed by at least 3 to 5 days.

Anyway, sorry for the aside, and I'm glad you had a good experience at their bricks-and-mortar shop. I wish they could fix the inventory system so their online store was as good.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I myself am a huge fan of supporting local business. By supporting the community within which you live you add to its viability, you also support and promote its health and level of quality. If you find prices online that are significantly cheaper than the prices offered by your LHBS let the owner of your LHBS know about it. Ask the owner if they would be willing to offer price matching options to keep your business local.

I by no means am against companies that offer great prices online and reach out to a larger community. There are many online companies that offer quality services and products. It is just my opinion that it is generally more healthy, for your local community, to support your local businesses when practical.

Quick Reply