Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Three Floyds Dark Lord on Tap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
BoilerUp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Three Floyds Dark Lord on Tap

I had the opportunity to have Dark Lord on tap yesterday in Indianapolis at a beer festival. Just wondering if anyone else has had the tap compared to having it in the bottle.

P.S. Definitely going to DLD next year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 03:25 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A friend of mine went to the release party this year at three floyds. He brought me back a few bottles, so I'll have to ask him if he tried it on tap. What were your thoughts on it?

Another HERMS rig...

Old 07-21-2009, 03:37 AM   #3
BoilerUp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It was definitely worth the wait. It was smooth, complex, and alcoholic. I have yet to try it from a bottle, but I intend to be at the brewery early next year to pick up a few bottles. I think it made a lasting impression as i'm going to brew an Imperial Stout this weekend.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:42 AM   #4
deepsouth
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 42

i have never had dark lord on draft, but i've had the past two years bottled. i loved the first one, but thought this past years was a syrupy mess. i still have one bottle i plan on aging to see where it goes.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:01 AM   #5
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Deepsouth, I agree with you 100%. Everyone is always hyped up about this beer, but I'm not seeing the goodness. I think maybe it's people getting themselves phsyched up about the beer, then not being willing to let themselves down.

After trying it this year for the first time, I was very dissappointed. As you said, it was syrupy, and dare I say, almost too complex. I thought there was too much going on in one bottle. It took me close to an hour to finish a 10oz. glass. And I've always been a fan of big imperial stouts.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 07-21-2009, 04:48 AM   #6
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had the '08 on tap and the '09 and the '09 in bottle. The '08 I had was on DLD '09 but it was the version aged in a bourbon barrel with vanilla beans. That has been my favorite beer ever, just wonderful. DL on tap '09 was good, alcoholic, very roasty but not world changing good. In the bottle a month later was even more coffee/roasted. I'm planning on aging some of the bottles a good long time. I'm also trying to replicate what I had in the '08 version.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 07-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
deepsouth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
Deepsouth, I agree with you 100%. Everyone is always hyped up about this beer, but I'm not seeing the goodness. I think maybe it's people getting themselves phsyched up about the beer, then not being willing to let themselves down.

After trying it this year for the first time, I was very dissappointed. As you said, it was syrupy, and dare I say, almost too complex. I thought there was too much going on in one bottle. It took me close to an hour to finish a 10oz. glass. And I've always been a fan of big imperial stouts.
i have a picture i'll post when i get home.....

my brother in law and i shared the most recent dark lord and after we poured our beers, we poured the sludge into to 5 oz. glasses. we had 4 oz. sludge in each glass.....

that's 8 oz. out of 22 of complete sludge. it wasn't even black like the beer, it was brown, a distinctly different color.

i don't mind sediment in the bottom of my bottles at all, but once it gets over a couple inches i wonder and when it reaches about 4 inches, i'm scared.

we still drank it though! it was the consistency of oatmeal and was pretty hard to put down.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
cpz28
Recipes 

09 Dark Lord isn't anything like 08. 09, to me, is much thinner bodied and much hotter alcohol, and less complex than any other year I've had (have had 05, 07,08,09). Any other year of this beer I find to be nothing short of amazing but 09 has yet to do it for me. I plan on sitting on my 09's for quite some time before giving them another chance. As for the draft vs bottle argument I'd say they taste pretty much the same (I'd be hard pressed to distinguish them from one another).

Old 07-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #9
deepsouth
Recipes 

yep, that's all dark lord sludge....

Quick Reply